Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fab_incher
Frequent Visitor

Best Practice Data Model Design with several Fact Tables

Hi,

i got some best practice design problems with my Data model, that consists of several fact and dimension tables. There is a screenshot with my current design considerations. I also thought about some possible solutions, but maybe you can help me to decide or give me some additional solutions/thoughts 🙂 

1. Problem: try to avoid Snowflake-Hierachy because Star Schema seems to be best practice generally. In my case I need two identical Columns „Symbol“ in Dim_Symbol and Dim_Options. I need to show Option-Data from e.g. Fact_OptionTransactions also per Stock Symbol (e.g. how many Transactions for „AAP“)

• Solution 1: Build a common table (flatten the table). That means i have to map every Optionname to every Stock Symbol. That means the Symbol Column wouldnt be a 1:n relation anymore, because there are several Optionnames for every Stock Symbol.
  • Solution 2: I give a go for the Snowflake Schema. What are the disadvantages?

2. Problem: Some calculated fields are needed as Dimension for filtering or in the legend of a visual. E.g. „Status“ of the trade (closed/open) or a Flag if it was a WinnerTrade. Further more there could be the same Trades (OptionNames) but from different Users.

• Solution 1: Build a new and Separate Dimension Table with every Optionname-User combination and the „Status“ Column (calculated Column or Power Query)
  • Solution 2: Build a DAX-Measure „Status“, but are there some restrictions for my needed use cases as filter etc.? 

3. Problem: What is the best way to implement RLS in my case?

• Solution 1: Restrict Fact_OptionTransactions, because this is the only user-related Fact Table (at the Moment)
  • Solution 2: Is it possible to restrict the Dimension Table „Dim_User“, that will restrict all related tables too?

Thank you very much!

2023-04-10_Data Model Design.png

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.