Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KMZ_ESS
Helper I
Helper I

Basic question reg. visualization of a survey

Dear all,

I wonder whether I'm overthinking this. 🙂 I took some dummy survey data with 5 questions and 3 possible answers each. When I visualize it as a pie chart I'm confused a bit by the terminology (see screen below).

If I drag the answer data into the legend and values fields, the title of the pie is "count of answer by answer". 

If I drag the answer data into the legend field and the question data into the values field, the title of the pie is "count of question by answer". The correct title should be "answer by question", but if I arrange the data any other way the data is not displayed the way I need it.

Now I know I can just edit the title, but wonder whether the way I arranged the data could be a problem if I ever have to create a more complex report. Many thanks!

2023-01-19 10_43_32-Posteingang - Kaveh.Moaed-Zadeh@essity.com - Outlook.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @KMZ_ESS ,

If you want to see each question how many answers it has, the question column should be in the legend and the answers in the value section.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @KMZ_ESS ,

If you want to see each question how many answers it has, the question column should be in the legend and the answers in the value section.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

I had tried that before. See below what happens. It counts all answers, not each answer separately. I don't need the total sum of answers as that is the same as the number of questions. The first 2 pies in the above screen show what I'm looking for. I want to know:

- for question 1 how many have answered 1

- for question 1 how many have answered 2

- for question 1 how many have answered 3

- for question 2 how many have answered 1 etc.

I'm using the slicer to switch between questions. It doesn't make sense to have all questions at once in a pie. Especially if the possible answers to each question are different. In this case I just used simple dummy data where the possible answers are the same for all questions.

My question is more regarding the title. Is there a way to get the data displayed as in the first 2 pies above and have the title "answer by question"? I understand I can change the title manually but wonder whether there is something I did wrong that makes the title either "answer by answer" (first pie above) or "question by answer" (second pie above).

2023-01-19 11_26_42-Exercise1 - Power BI Desktop.png

I think I just figured it out. Of course "answer by question" counts all answers. I actually have to insert answer both in legend and values, then it counts the number of answers for each answer. The title then is "count of answer by answer" and now I'm pretty sure the title has to be changed manually in any case.

The mistake was a conceptual one in my head. "Answer by question" is what it may be called colloquially, but not logically. 🙂

2023-01-19 12_05_37-Exercise1 - Power BI Desktop.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.