Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically export a Power BI report in PDF and send it using email

I am trying to Automate a process that would export a Power BI report in PDF format and send an Email on a scheduled basis with that PDF as an attachment.

Is that possible without passing by a premium capacity?

10 REPLIES 10
KiranHosakote
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Anonymous @FabioFe 

To export your Power BI report to PDF with filters and slicers (with a Power BI Pro license), see https://medium.com/bi-helper/automated-distribution-of-power-bi-reports-and-dashboards-25fde6c68af0.

BI Helper is a third-party SaaS tool that automates the generation and emailing of PDF / PPTX reports from Power BI to users inside and outside your organization. 

Is it possible in Power BI Pro?

Yes it works with Power BI Pro. 

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can use power automate works with power bi service. But this need the report stored in reserved capacity. This means need a premium capacity. For more details, you can refer this article.

Export and email a report with Power Automate - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The REST API is the same and you can refer to this article on the limitations of exporting to a file.

Export Power BI embedded analytics reports API - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Or maybe try some third-part tools like javascript or python selenium to get pdf.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I don't think you need Premium for that, you could use the Power BI REST API.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for your reply

There are any steps that i can follow to achieve this goal?

@Anonymous Sure:

1. Install Powershell

2. Read this: Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Docs

3. Read this: Working with PowerShell in Power BI | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

4. Read this: Reports - Export To File - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

5. Code it

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Power Automate uses the PowerBI REST API and has the same limitation. The report needs to be a dedicated capacity. See: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/export-to-file#limitations

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot @Greg_Deckler  I'll try them

Did it work? How did you implement it finally? Would it be possible that you provide insights?

Best,

Fabio

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.