Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

pierpa
Frequent Visitor

Automatically calculated financial statement starting from transactions list

Hello, I need help to structure a financial report automatically calculated starting from all the transactions. I will briefly introduce you the situation and then the problem.

I need to create an in come statement which is structured like this:

• Revenue
    • Cost of Goods Sold
  • = Gross Profit
  • - Expenses
    • Marketing
    • General & Administrative
    • Depreciation & Amortization
    • Interest
  • = Earning Before Taxes
  • - Taxes
  • = Net Earnings

Every element (node) in this statement is made by the sum of certain accounts.

For example Expenses is made of:

• Marketing, Advertising & Promotion
  • General & Administrative

Every voice, as Marketing, Advertising… is an aggregation of accounts as:

• Social media expenses
  • Banner expenses
  • TV advertising expenses

Moreover every account is an aggregation of transactions:

• Social media expenses 500$ 31/11/2019
  • Social media expenses 500$ 12/12/2019

So, I need to arrive to Net Earnings, which is the subtraction and the sum of different elements (node), every element (Expenses), is the aggregation of a lot of accounts (Social media expenses), wich is an aggregation of transactions (social media expenses 500$ 12/12/2019).

From my company systems I can download every transactions whic contains the parent account, and the parent element (that we call node)

I created hierarchy that tells me all the node, and the parent of every node (for simplicity I’ve represented just one level of node, but in reality they are more)

Now the question is, how can I replicate the structure of the financial statement, starting from the download of all the transactions, knowing that every transaction is contained in an account, that is contained in a specific node?

Account hierarchy example:

Account

Description

Parent Node

P123456789

Income from properties used for own activities

N0001

P112345678

Income from land and agricultural property

N0001

P111234567

Income from other real rights

N0002

P111123456

Income from tangible assets and inventories

N0002

Node hierarchy example:

Node

Description

Parent

N0000

Group result of the period

N0001

Consolidated result of the period

N0000

N0002

Profit after taxes

N0001

N0003

Profit before taxes

N0002

N0004

Profit before taxes (gross of unallocated holding expenses)

N0003

N0005

Operating result

N0004

We are talking about 300 nodes and 2.000 accounts, 50.000 transactions.

Thank you in advance

3 REPLIES 3
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pierpa

If the structure already exists in a table and the size of the table is smaller than 1G,you can directly connect it with desktop by import,otherwise import all the related tables to desktop,then create the model you need in desktop.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @v-kelly-msft thank you for your reply, the problem is not importing the data, but create the structure of the financial statement by automatically recreate the hierarchy of nodes, elements and account. 

So, I need to arrive to Net Earnings, which is the subtraction and the sum of different elements (node), every element (Expenses), is the aggregation of a lot of accounts (Social media expenses), wich is an aggregation of transactions (social media expenses 500$ 12/12/2019

To do it by just importing a file i would need to create a table where for every node there is a parent, the parent of the parent, etc.

NodeParent 1Parent 2Parent 3Parent 4...
N0015N0010N0005N0002N0000

Then, by knowing the account associated to every node it is possible to put all the transactions in the correct node, sum every transaction in a node and by sorting them, recreate the income statment.

But building a table with the hierarchy of the nodes by hands is almost impossible. As stated before there are more than 300 nodes, so I'm looking for a better way to do it. As for now I only have a list of all the nodes and the first parent of each node.

Hi @pierpa

I guess the blog below will help.

https://bondarenkoivan.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/unfold-child-parent-hierarchy-in-power-query/

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors