Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mkusler
Helper II
Helper II

Automatically Create A Table and Add to It Monthly - Based on Fields From Another Table

I have a large dataset with many columns, but ultimately what I am looking to do is create a new table, that is essentially a snapshot of one column of data from the larger set.

One of the columns in my large dataset is "Status", which can either be "Active" or "Closed". All I want to do is perform a simple count of how many rows are still "Active" as of the last day of each month. That data would then be stored in a different table, creating a monthly record so that I can see month over month how many rows are active and if we are trending up or down.

Is there anyway to have PowerBI automatically (end of month, end of day) take this snapshot of "count" data and place it into a new table so that I can drive a visual off of it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @mkusler ,

I don't think what you are trying to achieve is currently possible.  Power BI relies on an existing data source. You can create a query or a calculated table to automatically get a subset, say last month's data based on the current date,  of a larger dataset but that query or calculated table is dependent on a data source and the current date. Any changes to the source will reflect into the subset but is not stored somewhere unless you manually export the subset and save it somewhere.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mkusler
Helper II
Helper II

@danextian 

This is what I thought, but I was hoping there was a clever work-around that didn't involve any manual work.

Thanks for answering!

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @mkusler ,

I don't think what you are trying to achieve is currently possible.  Power BI relies on an existing data source. You can create a query or a calculated table to automatically get a subset, say last month's data based on the current date,  of a larger dataset but that query or calculated table is dependent on a data source and the current date. Any changes to the source will reflect into the subset but is not stored somewhere unless you manually export the subset and save it somewhere.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.