Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CarlsBerg999
Helper V
Helper V

Automatic snapshots of data

Hi,

I am using Pro Licensed PowerBI. What i have is somewhat extensive sales forecast data of which i want to take snapshots of. What i need, is an automatic way to export data on a weekly/monthly basis to an excel spreadsheed (for example) so i can create a visual of the changes that happened in the forecast.

Example of the issue: 5 sales persons have sales forecasts for future months. They update forecasts every month. I want to see what they forecasted in january compared to what they forecast now. However, data refresh overwrites deletes january and replaces it with the current data.

How would you do this? I'm not too familiar with incremental refresh, but could i use incremental refresh to see changes made in each period for example?

Thanks for the assistance and ideas!

4 REPLIES 4
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CarlsBerg999 ,

1. You can create and export to excel or CSV button in Power BI using Power Automate for Power BI. In this way, when the user views the report, he can export data to a new CSV file. 

Referencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnTipbooeP0 

image.pngimage.png

vkkfmsft_0-1629706691794.png

2. Or try schedule automated data exports from Power BI using a simple R/Python Script.

R Script:

write.csv(dataset, file = "C:/testExports/exported_data.csv")

Python Script:

output <- as.data.frame(dataset)
write.csv(output, file = "C:\\testExports\\exported_data.csv")

Referencing: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Schedule-Automated-Data-Exports-from-Power-BI-using-... 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, This idea does have great potential. Is it possible replace the "On Power BI Button Clicked" with a dynamic date as in 15th of every month?

Hi @CarlsBerg999 ,

Unfortunately, that is not possible. You have to open the report and click on "Run flow" to export the data.

Or refer to the following link if it can help you.  Scheduled Snapshot of the Power BI Data and Report - RADACAD

While Microsoft supports and encourages open-source software development, it does not provide technical support for the software from third parties, nor does it guarantee that the software will work as described.

A more straight forward approach to consider is to make a simple paginated report, make your desired table in it, publish it, and subscribe to it with monthly frequency (as a csv file). 

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@CarlsBerg999 There's never been a good (read easy) solution for this. However, I have recently been told that Goals can be used for this purpose somehow. You can also just use Export data on visuals to export the raw data behind the visual.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.