Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

runnerpaul
Regular Visitor

Automatic schedule to refresh PowerBI data and upload pibx file to the web

Hi,

I have PowerBidesktop and the PowerBI Personal Gateway which I use to upload my .pbix file to the PowerBI web.

Is there any way I can create a schedule to refresh the data each morning then upload the file automatically?

Cheers

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@runnerpaul You can achieve the same using Power BI Personal Gateway. There is no need to upload the file once refresh. Dashboard/Report will automatically get refresh for latest data from the source as long as the Personal Gateway is online.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

Personal Gateway is not used to publish your Pbix file, but only to refresh data between Power Bi Services (this is where you've published your reports) and your On-prem data source.

If you want to schedule your refresh, just go, in Power BI Service on the dataset you've published (it is automaticaly published with your .pbix file), click on the ... button and choose "Schedule Refresh". You can schedule daily or weekly refresh and the time period for daily refresh.

NB : If you have to refresh your data from PowerBI desktop (for example because you use files to import data), you'll have to do it manually, you cannot use Personal Gateway

Hope it's help.

Sebastien

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@runnerpaul You can achieve the same using Power BI Personal Gateway. There is no need to upload the file once refresh. Dashboard/Report will automatically get refresh for latest data from the source as long as the Personal Gateway is online.

@ashishrj am I correct in thinking this is a manual process? I'd like to automate this if possible.

It is automated. There is no re-uploading after you publish your .pbix the first time (unless you decide to make major changes and replace it for some reason). The gateway manages the automated refresh of the data according to whatever schedule you give the dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.