Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

F_Reh
Helper II
Helper II

Automatic Selection in Slicer ?

Hello,

I need to place a Slicer on a page/report in my Dashboard, where the field (for this slicer) could be one of possible 88 Codes and these will all displayed in the Slicer. However, the Graph/Chart on the page/report needs to default to showing the Trends of only 38 of the codes (but the User can select other Codes or deselect any of the 38 codes if they choose to) . I do not want change the SQL Query to bring in only 38 codes, because the other codes will be shown in the other Reports/Pages. And I don't want to create multiple subsets from the same Data Source for each Report/page because that will rapidly increase the File Size. I would appreciate if there are any suggestions, of Auto-selecting the relevant 38 codes within the Slicer (whilst still listing all 88 codes for possible selection/deselection) ?

Appreciatively

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @F_Reh ,

If you have a default selection you want on a slicer, you can make those selections and save the file with those selections made and the slicer will be held in that state until a user changes it. It will always default back to that selection when you reload the page. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. The request is a little vague.
 Or You can also this option 

The Chiclet Slicer - has a Forced Selection option...

https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/ChicletSlicer1448559807354

Thanks ,
Pratyasha Samal 
Has this post solved your problem? Please Accept as Solution so that others can find it quickly and to let the community know your problem has been solved.
If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos C

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @pratyashasamal,

How about creating a calculated column to indicate whether a code is in the list of default codes and use that in a slicer? Say, if it is in the list show "default" otherwise "other codes" and "default" is selected by default.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Different codes will be default for different pages/reports. 

pratyashasamal
Super User
Super User

Hi @F_Reh ,
Can you please share a sample .pbix file , so that i could understand the issue clearly .
Thanks ,
Pratyasha Samal
Has this post solved your problem? Please Accept as Solution so that others can find it quickly and to let the community know your problem has been solved.

Essentially, I only need to know if Default/Auto-selection in Slicers is possible, in light of the large number of selections needed.

Hi @F_Reh ,

If you have a default selection you want on a slicer, you can make those selections and save the file with those selections made and the slicer will be held in that state until a user changes it. It will always default back to that selection when you reload the page. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. The request is a little vague.
 Or You can also this option 

The Chiclet Slicer - has a Forced Selection option...

https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/ChicletSlicer1448559807354

Thanks ,
Pratyasha Samal 

Thank you! @pratyashasamal, forced selection in Chiclet slicer worked for me trying to automatically select an option in a slicer using another slicer!

Yes - that is a possible satisfactory solution to my question - to select all the default options then saving the file. I thought there might be a simpler and more practical solution than manually selecting each of the 38 DEFAULT codes in the Slicer list.

The Chiclet Slicer is not suitable solution because I have 88 possible (TOTAL) codes to display (in the Slicer).

Hi @F_Reh ,
Happy to help you .
Thanks ,
Pratyasha Samal 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.