Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsbin
Super User
Super User

Analysis Services Multidim Cube: Change from Live Connection to Direct Query?

Good Day,

I am used to working with AS Tabular Models.  I have had no issues with creating a Direct Query model when working in this format.

I have a potential client who is using AS Multidimensional Cubes as their data source.  I feel I will, in the near future, need to create new Measures and such.  It appears that it is not possible to change from a Live Connection to Direct Query when Cubes are at play.  Hoping one of you experts can confirm this.

If this is in fact the case, are there any other work-arounds that I can use?  Or would everything have to be done within the Cube?

Much Thanks and Kind Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's pretty much it - learn MDX and ignore all the snide remarks. It might be old technology but is still pretty powerful.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Not suggesting anything but the cube connectors come in two flavors.  You can both choose import mode (gasp!!!)  and run custom MDX queries (double gasp!!!).

Is it true OLAP or is it SSAS Tabular?

@lbendlin ,
Happy Super Sunday!

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.  This is a true OLAP Multidimensional cube.

My forte is with SSAS Tabular Models which I love to work with.

I have just signed on with a client who wants to convert from existing Tableau reports to Power BI.   All of their existing reports are based on MDX cubes with which I have very little to no experience.  Trying to quickly learn on the fly.  Looking to connect with someone who can provide me some guidance.

Import I think is completely out of the question.  Next option is to quickly learn MDX and be able to add Columns and Measures to their existing Cube.

Any further thoughts or comments?

Thanks again and Best Regards,

That's pretty much it - learn MDX and ignore all the snide remarks. It might be old technology but is still pretty powerful.

@lbendlin ,

Good Morning.  Thanks again for the response.  Good to know I am on the right track and was not overlooking anything.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.