Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Allocating costs from one table to values in another table

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, because I'm starting to think what I'm trying to do can't be done. Smiley Indifferent

Data Model:

Server Detail (InstanceID) 1-to-many to BillingDetail (InstanceID, ExtendedCost)

Standard Date table

I split ServerDetail into SingleServers and SharedServers based on certain criteria (there is no overlap between SingleServers and SharedServers, and every row from ServerDetail goes into one or the other).

So the data model really looks like this:

DM.PNG

I need to total up the costs, per month of the SingleServers, and figure out the percentage of each for a given month:

Total Cost := CALCULATE(
	sum(BillingDetail[ExtendedCost]),
		 'SingleServers'
	)

%GT := DIVIDE(
		[Total Cost],
		CALCULATE(
			[Total Cost],
			ALLSELECTED(SingleServers[Dept])
		)
	)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-sihou-msft

Somehow I made 2 or 3 copies of this thread, but the main one is here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Allocating-costs-from-one-table-to-values-in-another-table/...

I will be sharing PBIX files with both split and non-split tables showing that both methods can work.

Thanks,

David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, because I'm starting to think what I'm trying to do can't be done. Smiley Indifferent

Data Model:

Server Detail (InstanceID) 1-to-many to BillingDetail (InstanceID, ExtendedCost)

Standard Date table

I split ServerDetail into SingleServers and SharedServers based on certain criteria (there is no overlap between SingleServers and SharedServers, and every row from ServerDetail goes into one or the other).

I need to total up the costs, per month of the SingleServers, and figure out the percentage of each for a given month:

'SingleServers'
	)

[Total Cost],
		CALCULATE(
			[Total Cost],
			ALLSELECTED(SingleServers[Dept])
		)
	)

Data Model:

Standard Date table

DM.PNG

I need to total up the costs, per month and department, of the SingleServers, and figure out the percentage of each for a given month:

'SingleServers'
	)

[Total Cost],
		CALCULATE(
			[Total Cost],
			ALL(SingleServers[Dept])
		)
	)

So for example I would get

@dedelman_clng

In this scenario, since you separate the server detail into two tables, you can't use a single measure to dynamically retrieve the data from two tables and calculate the percentage. The better practice is adding a column in server detail table for tagging single or shared, then you can use ALLEXCEPT() to group your calculation based on this tagging column.

Regards,

Hi @v-sihou-msft

Somehow I made 2 or 3 copies of this thread, but the main one is here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Allocating-costs-from-one-table-to-values-in-another-table/...

I will be sharing PBIX files with both split and non-split tables showing that both methods can work.

Thanks,

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors