Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JMG241188
Frequent Visitor

Aggregating the results of a DAX measure to arrive as a Sum of the Filtered results

Hey,

I have an issue with the formula below, it works in certain visuals, but not for others.

Ultimately what this formula does is compare the current contract ID and see if that is equal to the MAX version of that contract ID and returns the Version Number corresponding to that contract.

LatestVersion = var _max = maxx(filter(ALLSELECTED(Contracts), Contracts[Master Contract Version Id] = Max(Contracts[Master Contract Version Id])), Contracts[Version Number])
return
CALCULATE(max(Contracts[Version Number]), filter((Contracts) ,  Contracts[Version Number] = _max))

This is OK to use as a filter on tables where each contract is split out on the visual, but it doesn't work when the data is aggregated.

What I need to do is return the $ limit of each of the latest versions, summed up together. I amended the formula to return the Overall Limit $, but again, it works at line level, but when aggregating contracts together, it only returns one value. Which is likely expected with the DAX measure, but I need to know how to take all of these individual "latest" limits, and sum them together in a total.

LatestVersionLimit = var _max = maxx(filter(ALLSELECTED(Contracts), Contracts[Master Contract Version Id] = Max(Contracts[Master Contract Version Id])), Contracts[Version Number])
return
CALCULATE(SUM('Contract Sections'[Overall Limit]), filter((Contracts) ,  Contracts[Version Number] = _max))

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

J
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JMG241188 This looks like a measure aggregation problem. See my blog article about that here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

The pattern is:
MinScoreMeasure = MINX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
MaxScoreMeasure = MAXX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
AvgScoreMeasure = AVERAGEX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JMG241188 This looks like a measure aggregation problem. See my blog article about that here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

The pattern is:
MinScoreMeasure = MINX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
MaxScoreMeasure = MAXX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
AvgScoreMeasure = AVERAGEX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler Thanks so much Greg, very theoretically complex yet ultimately simple solution. Perfect! Legend!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.