Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

VidasM
Advocate II
Advocate II

After upgrading to Oct 30, 2016 I cannot refresh my model anymore

After I upgraded my PowerBI for Desktop to Oct 30th, 2016 release, I cannot refresh my model anymore. Error:

Failed to save modification to the server. Error returned: "A measure, set, expression or data source with the name of "TableName" already exists in the 'Model' Model.

Does anyone could guide me on how can I investigate this error?

Does anyone have a link to download Sep 2016 release?

Edit: Resolved. It appears this release has a new limitation: You cannot have calculated measure with the same name as table name, otherwise refresh will fail. I renamed measure and my refresh works again.

After enabling trace, I see following in one of the log files, but that is no help for me:

.IgnoreSafeExceptions(IEngineHost host, IHostTrace trace, Action action)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryReportException(IHostTrace trace, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Exception exception)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryHandleException(Exception exception)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0093247"}
DataMashup.Trace Warning: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-10-31T14:47:53.4885944Z","Action":"EvaluationHost/TryHandleException","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.IO.IOException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Pipe is broken.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode)\r\n at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.WriteCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageSerializer.Serialize(BinaryWriter writer, Message message)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageSerializer.Serialize(BinaryWriter writer, Message message)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.StreamMessenger.Post(Message message)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.<>c__DisplayClass7.<TryReportException>b__6()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Common.SafeExceptions.IgnoreSafeExceptions(IEngineHost host, IHostTrace trace, Action action)\r\n\r\n\r\n","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.\r\nStackTrace:\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Common.ExceptionLoggingService.LogIgnoredException(IEngineHost host, Exception e)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Common.SafeExceptions.IgnoreSafeExceptions(IEngineHost host, IHostTrace trace, Action action)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryReportException(IHostTrace trace, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Exception exception)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryHandleException(Exception exception)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":3,"Duration":"00:00:00.0081695"}
DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-10-31T14:47:53.4976556Z","Action":"EvaluationContainerMain/ExceptionHandler/HandleException","containerID":"1","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.IO.EndOfStreamException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)\r\n at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt32()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageSerializer.Deserialize(BinaryReader reader)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.StreamMessenger.Read()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.Read(MessageChannel channel)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.MessageChannel.Read()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IMessengerExtensions.WaitFor[T](IMessenger messenger, Action`2 handler)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteServiceEnvironment.CreateServiceProxies(IMessenger messenger, IRemoteServiceProxy[]& services)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.Run()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0001217"}
DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-10-31T14:47:53.4976916Z","Action":"EvaluationContainerMain/ExceptionHandler/HandleException","containerID":"1","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.Threading.AbandonedMutexException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The wait completed due to an abandoned mutex.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)\r\n at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.WaitForParentExitThread(Object state)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":3,"Duration":"00:00:00.0000899"}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I heard just now that there is a new build available on the download page to fix this issue.  

I've tested it and it does avoid the "A measure ... already exits" issue that I encountered.  With that new build, I was also able to open a file which was saved after striking that error, which previously gave an error: Unable to Open Document We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model

Please still take careful backups of your files and dont rely on this - I have conducted a very limited test for one scenario.

Here are the version numbers:

2.40.4554.421  - has issues

2.40.4554.463  - new build

Can others please test and post your results.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
VidasM
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is what I see:

After latest update I can have measure name and table name match and that works on PowerBI for Desktop without any problems.

If I will try to publish this file to PowerBI service, I get error message - remote server return 404 (not found).

But when I changed measure name to be different from table name, I can publish that to PowerBI service without problems.

So it appears that PowerBI Desktop was fixed, but PowerBI service was not fixed for the same error.

@marcorusso I'm getting the same "error: (404) Not Found" when publishing an unchanged model from PBI Desktop, I also get Status 500 error when using Get Data from app.powerbi.com.

It seems clear the PBI Desktop fix has not been applied to app.powerbi.com.  

As I presume this needs the attention of a different set of Dev/Support people, I've created a new Support issue for it:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/360879-issues/suggestions/16963468-unable-to-publish-or-upload-get-...

Please vote and comment to raise the priority of this issue.

VidasM
Advocate II
Advocate II

I just tested PowerBI desktop update that was released few min ago - now this limitation is removed and I can have table name match measure name. So issue is resolved - you just need to update your PowerBI desktop with latest file.

My mistake - there is new release, but issue not fixed yet. I renamed field, but made 1 character error, so it appeared to work.

I just downloaded again but I got the same version from a few days ago: 2.40.4554.421.  The issue still occurs.  

Can you please post the build number where this is fixed?

One of my files is now unopenable - I had to restore from a backup.

Very poor regression testing to let this get through - it seems clear more time and effort should be put in to testing before each release.  

I'd be happy if the pace of new features each month slowed down, if that meant we had a more stable and reliable product to use. 

Hi,

Sorry - I made mistake in my testing - one char makes all the difference. Error in Nov 2nd release is still there.

Version: 2.40.4554.421 64-bit (October 2016)

So issue still there.

I heard just now that there is a new build available on the download page to fix this issue.  

I've tested it and it does avoid the "A measure ... already exits" issue that I encountered.  With that new build, I was also able to open a file which was saved after striking that error, which previously gave an error: Unable to Open Document We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model

Please still take careful backups of your files and dont rely on this - I have conducted a very limited test for one scenario.

Here are the version numbers:

2.40.4554.421  - has issues

2.40.4554.463  - new build

Can others please test and post your results.

For those who encounter the problem that prevent you from opeing the file, I found a workaround, that might be useful in the future, now that this new build solved the problem.

I got a circular reference that was preventing me from opening the file.

So I opened a new blank file, and imported my old file, as if it was a Power BI Model/Template.

In order to do so, you have to choose "All files" *.* instead of the template extension.

After the import, the file opened and showed the same error, but this time since the file was open I could track and fix it.

Save this tip for future reference.

I just downloaded the Version: 2.40.4554.463 - Date Published: 11/3/2016 After reading @marcorusso reporting another issue I'm not sure if I should install it. Does it still have the "publish online to update a report" error or did they fix the online server to match the changes in Desktop? Does anyone knows if it is fixed by now and its safe to update? Thanks in advance.

@zapppsr I'm still getting the publish error.  Can all please vote and comment to raise the priority of that issue:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/360879-issues/suggestions/16963468-unable-to-publish-or-upload-get-...

I get the error publishing a file that has not been updated with any of the Oct 2016 Power BI Desktop builds - the scenario that seems to trigger these errors already existed in my file (Measure with the same name as a Table).

@zapppsr I'm getting the same error when publishing pbix into powerbi.com with the same measure as table. When I rename measure, it works. 

Thanks all for your comments. The fix for this is now being actively worked on, ref https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

That fix has been released, and it has resolved this issue for me.  Can others please test and post your results.

Could you please share the hotfix location path here?

The fix was for the issue with the cloud service app.powerbi.com, so there isnt any "hotfix location path" or similar.

The test is if you can now Publish a .pbix file (using PBI Desktop - any version) containing a Measure with the same name as a Table.  The same issue was affecting Get Data / Local File from app.powerbi.com.

I had the similar issue after upgrading to the build Version: 2.40.4554.421 64-bit. And Yes, the new Version: 2.40.4554.463 64-bit fixed the issue of ‘A measure, set, expression or data source with the name of’ . 

In my case, there were only two measures which were conflicting with data source names and the issue resolved after installing the build ending with 463. 

Note:- Enabling trace did not help much, so I had to validate all measures to identify the conflicts. Trace needs improvement in logging such errors in detail.

I'm glad to see this problem has been solved

NOTE: the version that works is the 2.40.4554.463 published on 11/3/2016

I'd like to know whether the restriction of table/measure name that cannot be the same will be introduced later, or if it is a suggestion for future models. It would help planning changes.

Thanks!

Maybe I was happy too quickly.

Publishing a model that has been modified with the latest build of Power BI Desktop produces the following error:

"An error occurred while attempting to publish 'filename.pbix': Publishing failed for an unkown reason. (FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError"

Is this an error that someone else can confirm?

The problem happens by publishing a PBIX replacing an existing file

If I save the file with another name, publishing it I get:

"An error occurred while attempting to publish 'filename.pbix'. The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found."

If I upload the file from the Power BI, the refresh still doesn't work.

Any idea?

Same problem here...

Same problem, refreshed dashboard with latest October version and it fails to update online. Had to replace file with yesterdays backup and reinstall September vesion. again. 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.