Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding custom units to data labels

Hi there

I'm hoping someone can help me with something I've been struggling with for quite a while.

I'm in the process of creating customer reports based on raw data from a monitoring solution. One of the things I'm struggling with is the ability to add units to data labels to provide context and make the data more consumable. the problem I'm facing is that I can't change the data type due to the fact that I'm dealing with raw values, so multiple units are contained in the same column. For example:

delete_me.png

The first, third and fifth rows are percentage values. The second and fourth are not. While I do have the ability to differentiate them in the report, I don't have the ability to change the data types.

I'd like to find a way to add units (e.g. "%", "MB", etc) to report visualisations to indicate to the consumer what type of data is being displayed. Is there any way on a case-by-case basis to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous 

You could add a custom column that uses IF statements to check the value in the 'Type' column and concatenate the relevant indicator + the value.

i.e. if([type]='Disk', [Value] + "mb", .......

Hope this helps

Thanks,

George

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @judspud 

The problem I have with this is that the field will be a string. That means I either have to use those strings as the data values on the graph or use those strings only as data labels with the normal numeric data as the values (I hope that makes sense).

I'm honestly not sure how to do either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.