Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ctpumo

Actual-Budget Variance

I am trying to build a basic income statement with actuals in the first column, budget in the second column, and a variance between in the third column.  Oddly, (although I am new to Power BI), I am having trouble with this.  The actual will come from one Great Plains table, budget values from a second great plains table, and the variance will be a measure subtracting the two.  I am having trouble getting it to label the rows with the income statement line items down the left and again have actual, budget, variance across the three columns.

Can anyone please help this newbie?

Thanks,

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
ctpumo

And to be clear, this is direct query mode, because the tables come from GP.  So crossjoining into a new table does not appear to be a possibility.

Hi @ctpumo,

Does those tables contains relationships, which relationship you used?
If your tables use single relationship to link other tables, I'd like to suggest you switch them to 'both' and try again.('cross filter direction' option)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Currently I am linking both tables (the budget table and the master table) to an account master table both using an Account Index field.  Present in all three tables.

I will try playing with the relationships and see what happens, but I am not sure what I want is possible in PowerBI under direct query.  Every solution I saw involved creating a new table called Scenarios and then populating visuals from there - although I don't know why that would be necessary if the tables are properly connected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.