Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

biuser98
Helper II
Helper II

ALM Toolkit not detecting changes in Power Query

Hi,

I am using ALM Toolkit to update my dataset in the service without re-publishing from desktop. 

I changed the code of the source of my table in the power query steps. When I compare the dataset , the toolkit does not show the difference I have made in  the power query step.

Can someone help me why the changes are not shown for that table? 

My scenario:

Date Table --> source

In Power Query changed the source path to a different source.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My updated understanding is that under options, you should have "Consider partitions when comparing table" checked (ON).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @biuser98 ,

According to your statement, I think your should be caused that you didn't change the data source in ALM Toolkit. Please make sure you have changed the data source to the latest one. And please make sure you have changed the credential in Power BI Service to the latest one as well.

I think you can try to configure schedule refresh in Power BI Service.

For reference:Configure scheduled refresh

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there...

I've just encountered the same issue you have reported.
I needed to change the M code (added a filtering step, and a remove duplicates step) and ALMToolkit doesn't pickup the M code change.... perhaps my mystake is I thought it would.

To diagnose:

I have duplicated an existing column and ALM correctly picks this up as a change... i.e. it wants to change the database definition in the cloud.

I thought, perhaps wrongly, that it did pick up M code changes.

For reference ALMToolkit version is 5.0.44

Hi , same here, the m code wont detect any changes.

My updated understanding is that under options, you should have "Consider partitions when comparing table" checked (ON).

This seems to work. Could you explain?

This seems to work. Could you explain?

The technical answer from support is:

"M expressions for tables are represented as partition objects, so if you want to see them and have them considered for comparison, you need that checked.".

- David

Hi,

How can I change the data source in ALM toolkit? I just changed it in the power query editor. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.