Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lakshmi9228
Helper III
Helper III

401 error

displaying 401 error while using RLS in power BI and struggling from yesterday by different ways.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The screenshots titled as visuals is basically the 'Table' visuals that you see in the 'Visualizations' pane on the right on the PBI Desktop, so you can create these visuals irrespective of using Direct Query or Not. The secondary RLS table I was referring to is a manual table that you will create and maintain and will be the source of the second visual which will basically be the Column you want the restriction set on.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
lakshmi9228
Helper III
Helper III

For RLS, I added few people who should not see a particular sheet - They are good, they couldnot see the report and can see the other reports.

People I thought should see the private report cant see any visuals from the report and they are getting 401 error.

Should we change any settings for them.
Please let me know.

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Did you assign the users that role on the PBI Service  as well?

Yes, They are members for the workspace

The below screenshot shows the screen wherein you will assign the roles to the users, the roles I defined were named Account Manager, Team Lead and Global View which were at the PBI Desktop level:

RLS.PNG

Hey Lakshmi, adding users to workspace only gives them access to reports and dashaboards which dont have RLS set on them. If any reports have RLS then you need to go to its respective dataset, click on the ellipsis and click on security. Whichever role you defined on the Power BI Desktop level will show up and then you have to add users to those roles individually.

I have done that.
I restricted to few people by entering their email address.
I dint restrict to few people.
Now the people who are not restricted are getting error.

Can you paste the screenshot for the 401 error?

Capture.PNG

This is the error they are getting

What I can suggest is to first impersonate the role (Test as Role) of the people seeing this error and see if you are getting the same. If you are then revist your model and see if any of the relationship's has changed from single to both or are there are any breaks there and Test as Role for the users experiencing this on PBI Desktop too. That usually is where I have found my errors to be at and it has always resulted in success!

Does RLS works for the option "Hide all rows"?

Can you please ellaborate the 'Hide All Rows' option a little more so that I can understand what you are referring to?

I tested as their role and I can see the error what they are facing.

I cant figure whats the use of "relationships single or both".

Hide all rows:

When we normally start applying RLS filter, we go to Manage roles, click on the ellipse of the table, we see an option called hide all rows.

Now I have customer info, I want few people shouldn't see the email address info.
Is there any way to do it?

Yes that’s possible, If you can share the dummy data I can show it how to do it for that data set

Capture_1.PNG

So this is the data, I want few pwople in the workspace shouldnot see the email address and can see everthing they wnt.
How can I do that.

Also, just to confirm your statement for "few pwople in the workspace shouldnot see the email address and can see everthing they wnt." do you mean if ram@gmail.com logs in he can see only row 3 and nothing 

OR

Ram can see all rows and data but cant see all of the values in CustomerEmail?

Please let me kow if you want the data in excel format?

That would be helpful if you can share it in excel.

Unable to share it in excel, getting some error.
Please let me kow if you can help me out from this.
I want the column to be restricted

If you want data in a COLUMN restricted and not the ROW level data that wont be possible in a straight forward manner. As the name suggests its ROW- Level Security and not COLUMN. What I would do if it works with you is to remove the column that you want the restriction on from the first visual, and have that column adjacent to the first visual and have row level on that second visual. That will work. Maybe try that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.