Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TCFPA
Frequent Visitor

1 to Many relationship is not filtering properly.

I have this going on with two separate relationships but for the sake of this question we will focus on one.

I have a Fact table full of a given services info and a separate region lookup table

TCFPA_0-1672437757956.png

There are only six regions and IDs. The job table has a Job ID which is correlated to a specific region

i.e. Job-2000 is region 1000

I would expect that when I add the JobID and the region name I would get

Job-2000 LA West 

However that is not happening when I test a count on the data in the matrix one region ID is returning multiple region names

TCFPA_5-1672438297785.png

I am unsure why this is, as the region_key are all distinct

TCFPA_2-1672438055623.png

So for example 

TCFPA_4-1672438251982.png

this job despite having one region ID it is getting a count of 6 regions

Id instead expect the following

JobNameRegionIDRegion Name
Job-006900038329-ac05-4f61-897a-e2ec7924a8f3Olive Plaza Pilot

What could be happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Barthel
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @TCFPA,

Your relationship is now set up so that the one-side filters the many-side, not the other way around. You can recognize this by the direction of the arrow in the relationship. 

Barthel_0-1672479378656.png

Because the jobs do not filter the regions, the total of the regions is shown everywhere.

Barthel_1-1672479426103.png

You can do two things: 1. make the relationship bidirectional default 2. create a measure in which you make the relationship bidirectional specifically for that calculation.

1. Bidirectional:
    Barthel_3-1672479610041.png
  2. Measure:

Measure = 
CALCULATE ( 
    COUNTROWS ( Region ),
    CROSSFILTER ( Region[region], Job[region], Both )
)​

Result 

Barthel_4-1672479766210.png

There are some limitations to bidirectional relationships. Learn more about it here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/relationships-bidirectional-filtering 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Barthel
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @TCFPA,

Your relationship is now set up so that the one-side filters the many-side, not the other way around. You can recognize this by the direction of the arrow in the relationship. 

Barthel_0-1672479378656.png

Because the jobs do not filter the regions, the total of the regions is shown everywhere.

Barthel_1-1672479426103.png

You can do two things: 1. make the relationship bidirectional default 2. create a measure in which you make the relationship bidirectional specifically for that calculation.

1. Bidirectional:
    Barthel_3-1672479610041.png
  2. Measure:

Measure = 
CALCULATE ( 
    COUNTROWS ( Region ),
    CROSSFILTER ( Region[region], Job[region], Both )
)​

Result 

Barthel_4-1672479766210.png

There are some limitations to bidirectional relationships. Learn more about it here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/relationships-bidirectional-filtering 

TCFPA
Frequent Visitor

This solved one problem but not a new one. If I drop region name from the region table into a slicer it will not slice the data instead I just get blank rows. This confuses me as I thought the slice provides filter context which flows down to the table. If I drop items from upstream elsewhere in my model the slicer works just not this region field.

@TCFPA,

There may be no related names for the filtered jobs. Do you have a related region name for each job? In other words, has each Job id been assigned a Country id and each Country id a name?

TCFPA
Frequent Visitor

I have determined the issue. There is a massive lack of data governance at my comapny and fields are not matching up accros tables

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.