Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

amaaiia
Helper V
Helper V

Lakehouse/warehouse tables fields description as metadata for Data Governance

Is there any way to Catalog tables in Lakehouse and Warehouse in Fabric? Is it possible to add a description for the columns, description of tables, etc? I know with Purview we can have some metadada of a lakehouse, but with info like owner, name, id, creation_date, etc. General data of the lakehouse. Is it possible to describe fields?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @amaaiia 
I meant to say that currently, Fabric does not offer built-in functionality for adding descriptions directly to columns or tables in Lakehouses and Warehouse. But as you stated you can use Purview for getting some metadata related to Lakehouse. 
Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amaaiia 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Fabric doesn't currently offer built-in functionality for adding descriptions directly to columns or tables. Purview is the only option at this time.

Hope this helps.

Does Purview allow to add column descriptions into Fabric Lakehouses and Warehouses? I can't find this feature in Purview.

Hi @amaaiia 
I meant to say that currently, Fabric does not offer built-in functionality for adding descriptions directly to columns or tables in Lakehouses and Warehouse. But as you stated you can use Purview for getting some metadata related to Lakehouse. 
Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.