Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Timmyyoungm

select a a single date from a date filter and another visual

Does anyone know how I can select a a single date from a date filter and once it is, I have one visual specifically pulling up information for the quarter that the date is in, and the previous quarter that the date is related to as well? For example, if I select the slicer 7/16/21, one of my visuals would say Quarter 3, and another would be Quarter 2. I already have a date table with the quarter it belongs in, but am struggling with the DAX to do this
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ray_ux
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Timmyyoungm 
You should be able to just put the QuarterName in another visual. The slicer will automatically filter the value for the quartername for this first visual. For the previous quarter, you can make a measure like this:

PreviousQuarter = 
CALCULATE(
    MIN('Date'[QuarterName]),
    DATEADD('Date'[Date], -1, QUARTER)
) 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Timmyyoungm 

PLease refer to sample file with the solution https://www.dropbox.com/t/stTqD016sOoBVw4D

You need to have a previous date table (just a shadow copy of the date table) with inactive relationship with the date table. Apologies for not being able to share screenshots as I already consumed my limit. Here is the measure code:

Sales Last 2 Quarters = 
VAR RefDate = ENDOFQUARTER ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR PreviousDates =
    DATESINPERIOD ('Previous Dates'[Date], RefDate, - 2, QUARTER )
VAR Result =
    CALCULATE ( 
        [Sales Amount],
        REMOVEFILTERS ( 'Date' ),
        KEEPFILTERS ( PreviousDates ),
        USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Date'[Date], 'Previous Dates'[Date] )
    )
RETURN
    Result
ray_ux
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Timmyyoungm 
You should be able to just put the QuarterName in another visual. The slicer will automatically filter the value for the quartername for this first visual. For the previous quarter, you can make a measure like this:

PreviousQuarter = 
CALCULATE(
    MIN('Date'[QuarterName]),
    DATEADD('Date'[Date], -1, QUARTER)
) 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.