Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DagmaraG
Frequent Visitor

Waterfall with custom categories and SWITCH

Hi!

Thanks for all the help in previous posts. I have one more issue that is bugging me 🙂 

I need to create WATERFALL chart but MEASURE in Y axis need to show different measures based on Category.

I have this Measures set:
Measure1
Measure2
Measure3

Also I have this dimTable:
Index  Measure Name
1           Measure1    
2           Measure2
3           Measure2

I need to create this waterfall who shows:
Measure1Name ---- Measure1
Measure2Name ---- Measure2

Measure3Name ---- Measure3

DagmaraG_0-1680513863548.png

I have created Measure in SWITCH that says:

Measure_SWITCH =
SWITCH(
    selectedvalue(dimTables[Index]),
     1, [Measure1],
     2, [Measure2],
     3, [Measure3]
)

But this Measure_switch gives only value for Index1 😞 I tried to put Measure_Switch in Y axis and MeasureName in Category but it does only show value for Measure1

Could you help me? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PiEye
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @DagmaraG , I was able to get something to work by doing the following:

3 Measures: Measure 1, Measure 2, Measure 3. Note that these are each DAX measure in the main table:

Measure 1 = [Measure] +1
Measure 2 = [Measure] +2
Measure 3 = [Measure] +3

I then created a parameter, in an unlinked table isolate, with the values 1,2,3 and corresponding switch statement. This returns expected results when tested in a straight table

PiEye_0-1680519962850.pngPiEye_1-1680520042523.png

I can then add these values into a waterfall chart, and the results are as expected.

PiEye_2-1680520136739.png

What are you doing differently? Are the tables connected - they should not be connected. Perhaps if this does not work you can share a screenshot of the model?

Pi

PS, if you want even more flexibility around waterfall charts, I have a blog on how to create from bar chart: https://www.iheartdemography.com/post/hacking-a-waterfall-chart-in-powerbi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PiEye
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @DagmaraG , I was able to get something to work by doing the following:

3 Measures: Measure 1, Measure 2, Measure 3. Note that these are each DAX measure in the main table:

Measure 1 = [Measure] +1
Measure 2 = [Measure] +2
Measure 3 = [Measure] +3

I then created a parameter, in an unlinked table isolate, with the values 1,2,3 and corresponding switch statement. This returns expected results when tested in a straight table

PiEye_0-1680519962850.pngPiEye_1-1680520042523.png

I can then add these values into a waterfall chart, and the results are as expected.

PiEye_2-1680520136739.png

What are you doing differently? Are the tables connected - they should not be connected. Perhaps if this does not work you can share a screenshot of the model?

Pi

PS, if you want even more flexibility around waterfall charts, I have a blog on how to create from bar chart: https://www.iheartdemography.com/post/hacking-a-waterfall-chart-in-powerbi

thanks, I have realized I used to much selected switches. It was an issue with my model.

Glad to help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors