Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

oj62012

Visual filter that filters another visual filter

Hi all, 

I wanted my 'Report frequency' filter to affect filters on another filter. My queries and their relationships are set up as per below: 

image 1.png

For context, the date table ('Dates') is connected to the compliance summary table ('Date reported') based on their corresponding date values. Similarly, the Legislation table (Rule or section number) is also linked to the compliance summary table (rule or section number) using the respective rule or section numbers as the connecting factors.

All three tables include a field named 'Reporting frequency,' which indicates whether the reporting is done on a quarterly or half-yearly basis. In the Legislation table, each rule or section is classified as either reportable quarterly or half-yearly. Similarly, in the Date table, each date is associated with a specific reporting frequency, which can be either quarterly or half-yearly.

The outcome that I want to achive: 

I want the Reporting frequency filter from the Date table be able to filter the Legislation table. For example if I choose Quarterly in the ‘Reporting frequency’ filter all rules/section number and obligation themes that are reportable quarterly will show on the filters to the left. Currently the Legislation table is directly connected to the Compliance summary which is also what I want because I want them to filter the graph. PLease refer to my visual below. 

image2.png

Thank you and I appreciate any help I could get. 

Kind regards.

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @oj62012 ,

To filter the Legislation table based on the Reporting frequency filter from the Date table, you need to make sure that the filter direction is from 'Dates' table to 'Legislation' table.

vstephenmsft_0-1685326509822.pngvstephenmsft_1-1685326530546.png

Please kindly refer to Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn for more details about corss filter directions.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Thanks Stephen. 

I tried that before and it worked. However, the because there is no connection between the legislation and the summary table, the legislation table can't filter my graph (which is from the compliance summary table). My goal is to have a flow and effect filter process in the filters. For example, if I choose half yearly then the Obligations theme from the legislation table will show all the relevant themes that are reportable half yearly. And then choosing a legislation theme from the list will affect the values on my graph based on the chosen theme. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors