Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MathiasBI
Regular Visitor

Using a date column to filter two columns from different tables

Hi!

I'm managing a Power BI report where this company shows their budget versus actual numbers. 

There are three important columns; AccountNo, Budget and Actual.

Budget and Actual are from two different views, while AccountNo is the key connector between them. 

I need a separate date column which can filter these numbers in month and years. I haven't been able to create a column where I get the correct numbers in both columns. It's always either or.

1 REPLY 1
johnt75
Super User
Super User

Create a proper date table, marked as a date table, and link that to both budget and actual tables. Use columns from your date table in your visuals and it should filter everything correctly.

It would also be a good idea to create a separate dimension table for your accounts and link that to both budget and actual tables. It sounds like at the moment you have a many-to-many relationship between the two and that is rarely a good idea.

You can create a table based on the unique values using something like

Account Number =
DISTINCT (
    UNION (
        DISTINCT ( 'Budget'[Account Number] ),
        DISTINCT ( 'Actual'[Account Number] )
    )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.