Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rajkota

Use existing SUM measure to develop a new AVERAGE measure - is it possible

Hi - I have a DAX measure calultaed that calculates SUM of a particular quantity and is sensitive to date based filters - Year, Month etc.,  I'm trying to use that to calulcate a AVERAGE measure on the same FACT measure, and use that as a function to limit the range on the Y axis in a graph.  So for example, I have values of 10, 20, 50, 30, 40 over different weekdays, I want to derive a measure of an average value of 30 as the average.  The 10, 20, 50...are all coming from a exisint measure.  I am able to use the AVERAGE function, but any filter does not apply - it calculates the overall AVERAGE.  I tried using the CALCULATE(AVERAGE(MEASURE),CALENDAR....) and it doesn't work.   would be thanful for any suggestions.  I am trying to avoind going back to the perspective and creatig a new measure there.  I'm trying to create this measure within my PBIX file.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Is 'Work Ord Production Cost'[WO Ord Amt Actual] a column or a measure? It should be the measure you mentioned in your original post

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You can try

Avg Measure = AVERAGEX(
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( 'Date', 'Date'[Date]), "@val", [Existing Measure]),
   [@val]
)

That will create a daily average during the selected time period.

thanks Johnt75 - I tried and it only gives me the sum - here's the formula.   Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here

Avg Measure = AVERAGEX(
ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Year],'Calendar'[Period Num]), "@val", 'Work Ord Production Cost'[WO Ord Amt Actual]),
[@val]
)

Is 'Work Ord Production Cost'[WO Ord Amt Actual] a column or a measure? It should be the measure you mentioned in your original post

ok thanks.  Here is the updated formual with the Measure used in the formula, as opposed to the column - still gives me only the SUM.  apreciate your help johnt75

Avg Measure = AVERAGEX(
ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Year],'Calendar'[Period Num]), "@val", [WO Ord Amt Actual]),
[@val]
)

That looks correct to me. What does Calendar[Period num] represent? Also, what are you using on the x-axis of your chart?

thanks again johnt75 - your question made me take a closer look, and so I added another calendar filter to the formula - here it is now-  I added three levels of calendar filtersm as I could use any of them slicers when viewing the graph.  This works now.  Many thanks for your help.  Appreciaye it greatly.

Avg Measure = AVERAGEX(
ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Year],'Calendar'[Calendar Month],'Calendar'[Calendar Day Num]), "@val", [WO Ord Amt Actual]),
[@val]
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.