Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ccarpent
Helper IV
Helper IV

Search across two tables, for similair data

Hi

I trying to repeat a DAX calculation discused by Pragmatic Works here https://youtu.be/eKgcLcrebzI (44mins 41 sec for the actual full expression).  This was to help deal with bad data basically.  So I have managed to get this to expression to work on another project with some success, but when I tried it for my new project all failed.  I think it could be to do with SEARCH is a scalar function and I am needing "row by row" context; please correct me if I am getting the evaluation context aspect wrong, and I need a filter for Row Context..

So this i my example - 

Search for similiar data in columnsSearch for similiar data in columns

Table 1: My main reference table, this has the a full user names and cost centre codes.  My starting point.

Table 2: This is my imported data, excel report, there are a number of columns in this table but I am only looking at the one column called name. 

Step1 Match: So I am wanting search for the name from table one and see if exists in table two, if not then just a blank field.

Step2Remove: the final or outcome once I or DAX removes the blanks.  So the first column is what I imported, column two is the correct full name and its cost centre.  

My model has several other table, which are a one-to-many relationship. Would this be a factor as to why the expression is maybe not working?

This is my attemp at the DAX expression:

Match Name =
calculate(
            MAX('Portfolio1'[NAME]),
            should there be a filter here??
            SEARCH('Portfolio1'[NAME], ImportedData[NAME],,0)
)>0

The relationship with Portfolio1 to ImportedData, is a ONE-TO-MANY

Many thanks

Chris Carpenter

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccarpent As your imported name doesn't have complete name so I'm matching first character of first name and last name. Please try below measure. Let me know if it works

Measure = 
VAR _imported = MAX(Imported[Name])
VAR _secondName = RIGHT(_imported,LEN(_imported)-SEARCH(" ",_imported,1,0))
RETURN CALCULATE(MAX(Portfolio[Code]),FILTER(Portfolio,SEARCH(LEFT(_imported,1),LEFT(Portfolio[Name],1),1,0)&&SEARCH(_secondName,Portfolio[Name],1,0)))

Hi vimal_parma

Thats is looking very good :), this works fine when I have 'First Name' followed by 'Last Name', but if these are swapped around then I get a diffrenet result. For example if I change "M PLANT" to "PLANT M" the layout changes.

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors