Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DataSkills
Helper II
Helper II

SUMX total not "adding up"

Hi, I am confused about the result of a DAX formula that is giving an unexpected result. 

Notice how the totals for the 2 columns don't add up? This is a filtered table. 

DAX SUMX.jpg

Total care mins = sum(Table1[Scores])
Test = CALCULATE(sumx(values(Table1[PatientName]),max(Table1[Scores])))

The ACTUAL values from the data are:
Scores

I just cannot get my head around why these 2 totals are different. If I remove all the filters, they are still different so I don't think this is the reason.

What am I missing? 

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JW_van_Holst
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

In the total there is no filter on patient. Sumx is iterating over all 5 patients. While iterating it evaluates the second argument (MAX). Because there is no filter context it will evaluate every time the max of all patients (246). In the last step it will aggrate the five 246 in an sum (1260).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DataSkills
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you JW_van_Holst! I now get where this number comes from. That makes sense to me. 

JW_van_Holst
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

In the total there is no filter on patient. Sumx is iterating over all 5 patients. While iterating it evaluates the second argument (MAX). Because there is no filter context it will evaluate every time the max of all patients (246). In the last step it will aggrate the five 246 in an sum (1260).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors