Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cjmpetroleum
Frequent Visitor

Running total in measure with reset based upon a condition of same measure without using to a tbl

I have spent hours on this forum and the internet attempting to find a solution to no avail. I beg of your assistance.

I have a measure called "NetRev" which I am attempting to have some conditional running totals on. I wish to have a rolling sum that is reset every time a new negative trend occurs.

I was able to create a running total measure called "BaseDDA2" which has a formula:

BaseDDA2 = calculate(sumx(Tax,if([NetRev]>=0,0,[NetRev])),MDate[Report].[Year]<=year(SELECTEDVALUE(MDate[Report])))
aka BaseDDA2 = calculate(sumx("only add negatives"), "filter all dates on or before current period")
the output works as expected, but the trouble I am having is attempting to reset the running total to zero when the next negative period begins (1991 in the example).
cjmpetroleum_0-1684984791893.png

What's not worked?
  • Adding NetRev to the date table in a dax measure using "addcolumn" with associated DAX formulas
  • Any attempt to add NetRev as a filter condition to calculate (PLACEHOLDER error)
  • Previous period references (i.e. year-1) work, but only for a single row where NetRev swings from poz to neg

If I could use a table with the earlier function, this would be a breeze, but it needs to stay dynamic due to end user constraints (sans data refresh)

If I generate a date when NetRev goes positive, and I try to use it as a date filter condition, is it still a placeholder error? I am guessing this is going wrong because the DDA is doing exactly as expected: pulling a sum of all prior NetRev<0. I need to somehow trigger a reset.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

6 REPLIES 6
cjmpetroleum
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your efforts @some_bih ! I too have been unable to find a direct solution, but a very effective workaroud came to me today during a walk. It invovles:

1. Use Power Automate to create a single button click to export the desired data to excel (or CSV)
  2. Create another table in the same or a different pbix that references the exported file as the input
  3. Now all the is required is to dump the data and refresh the inputs and voila: all the data is in a table with columns where I can use the earlier function to handle the reset.

As I mentioned, this is not a true solution, but a elegant work-around. I will be running many scenarios, but it's not an unmanageable number, nor a unwieldly sized dataset. If done properly, I can get the behavior I am looking for with only two clicks.

I appriciate you @some_bih ! Thanks again!

some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @cjmpetroleum I really tried for hours to get you desirable output, but I could find correct approach.

I tried for various combination on row level to create measure or to use IF formulas, but as shown on picture below I did not get correct output.  I even tried to implement previous row data but as there are so many combination like from positive number to negative or two days are negative I could not find pattern to create IF statement.
Wish you more luck with this.

some_bih_0-1685311795256.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @cjmpetroleum if you want negative  part   [M_Amount] replace with 0 in

IF(_Negative_Amount<0,
        [M_Amount],

Or provide Expected columns data.

PS I am writing this via mobile

Thank you @some_bih 

I have created a sample pbix with some additional explaination within it. I have attempted to load it with the formulas you suggested, but I cannot run a SUM on the target measure.

Many thanks for your help!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OPBzJwMVHqhPIcTUyeou7-4GBj8aoytW/view?usp=sharing

some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @cjmpetroleum I create simple excel data from your picture and in Excel create "test amount".

In PowerBI I created Date Table and relationship with Year column (I import Excel as Date table in format Date dd.mm.yyyy) and following measures. Assumption for Reset Measure is that when negative amount is the year,  I hope this is ok for you.

M_Amount = sum(Sheet2[Amount])
VAR _MaxDate=MAX('Date'[Date])
VAR _Result=
    CALCULATE(
        [M_Amount],
        'Date'[Date]<=_MaxDate,
        ALL('Date')
    )
RETURN _Result

M_Amount_RunTotal_Reset =
VAR _MaxDate=MAX('Date'[Date])
VAR _Negative_Amount = [M_Amount]
VAR _Result=
    IF(_Negative_Amount<0,
        [M_Amount],
            CALCULATE(
                [M_Amount],
                'Date'[Date]<=_MaxDate,
                ALL('Date')
            )
    )
RETURN _Result

Excel "test data"

some_bih_0-1684999298828.png

PowerBI

some_bih_1-1684999361047.png

Hello @some_bih 

I appriciate this information and the effort, but my "sum" column is not values, it is a measure. Thus M_Amount = sum(Sheet2[Amount]) will not work as Sheet2[Amount] is a measure (in my case) and not a column. The sum function can only work on columns. If I could somehow convert my measure to a column (without addcolumn, as this does not appear to work properly), then I believe your solution would work.

Thank you for your efforts, but sadly for me, this solution did not work as-is.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.