Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SCTomas92

Number of users active in a selected date (with start date and end date)

Hi all, 

I require assistance with some Power BI measures. I'm trying to determine the number of active employees within a selected timeframe based on the "Date" (contract start date) and "EndDate" (contract end date) fields. Blank values in the "Date" field indicate that the employee was already active when data collection began, while empty values in the "EndDate" field signify that the employee is presently active. Whenever an employee gets promoted, their record is updated with an "EndDate" value, and a new entry is created.

The objective is to allow the end user to select two separate periods using slicers and view a detailed table showing which employees are new or no longer employed by the company. To facilitate this, I have duplicated the calendar table.

The measures I have created are as follows:

1. Employees_FirstMonthSelected: This measure calculates the count of active employees in the first selected month.
    Employees_FirstMonthSelected =
    CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(WorkDayGlobal) + 0,
        AND(
        OR(ISBLANK(WorkDayGlobal[Date]), WorkDayGlobal[Date] <= MAX(Calendar[Date])),
        OR(ISBLANK(WorkDayGlobal[EndDate]), WorkDayGlobal[EndDate] > MAX(Calendar[Date])))

2. Employees_SecondMonthSelected: This measure calculates the count of active employees in the second selected month.
    Employees_SecondMonthSelected =
    VAR Max_Date =
    MAX('Calendar2'[Date])
    RETURN
    CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(WorkDayGlobal) + 0,
        WorkDayGlobal[Date] <= Max_Date || ISBLANK(WorkDayGlobal[Date]),
        WorkDayGlobal[EndDate] > Max_Date || ISBLANK(WorkDayGlobal[EndDate]))

The issue I'm facing is that when I generate a detailed table of employees, some of them do not appear as active in periods when they were actually active (verified in the WorkdayGlobal table). For instance, if the user selects January 2023 and May 2023, an employee who worked from September 13, 2022, to April 11, 2023, and had a contract change with a start date of April 11 without an end date, should be considered active in both January 2023 and May 2023. However, they only appear as active in January.

I would greatly appreciate any insights on why this might be happening.

Thank you for your assistance.

1 REPLY 1
johnt75
Super User
Super User

Do you have any relationships between either of the calendar tables and the WorkDayGlobal table ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors