Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure Subtotals in Matrix not working for both Rows and Columns

hello,

I added this Measure in a Matrix, which calculates the transactions volume by hour:

Total Transactions = AVERAGE(table1[percentage_by_hour]) * sum(table2[transaction_value])

"table1" has the percentage distribution of transactions by hour, as shown below:

hour   %   channel

1       1%   Channel A

2       2%   Channel B

3       8%   Channel A

...      ....     ....

"table2" has the total volume of transactions for the day, by Channel:

day      channel        transaction_volume

feb 1    Channel A     100

feb 2    Channel B      40

...          ....

The Matrix has 'Hours' in the columns and 'Channels' in the rows and for some reasons only either the rows subtotal or columns subtotal is showing correctly, but not both together. This is the Measure that I used in the Matrix to show results:

subtotals.jpg

Total Transactions NEW =
VAR monthlyAverages = AVERAGEX(VALUES(table2[Channel]),[Total Transactions])
VAR AverageTotal = summarize(table2,table2[Channel],"Monthly AVG",monthlyAverages)

RETURN
if(HASONEVALUE(table2[Channel]),
monthlyAverages,
sumx(AverageTotal,[Monthly AVG]))

This is working by 'Channel', therefore the rows subtotal is correct, but the columns subtotal is wrong.
If I replace 'Channel' with 'Hour' the opposite will happen (columns subtotal is correct, and rows subtotal is wrong).

How can I make it work so both rows subtotal and columns subtotal show correctly?

thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

I'm not sure why you're using AVERAGE... I think this is not what you should do. Have a look at this model and the calculation. I think this might be what you really want...

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ApyQEauTSLtOgYJNmDbSzQj8jbcu-A?e=WgQjNU

Best

D

JustJan
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

hi @Anonymous ,

The Total calculation does precisely what you asked it to do, namely calculate the average for the day.

What you actually want to see, if I am not mistaken, is the sum of the hourly averages. In order to calculate this you need to calculate the hourly values again and then sum them into the required total.

Something like (depends also in the relations present): 

SUMX( 
summarize('table2',
table2[Channel],
table1[Hour],
"Monthly AVG",monthlyAverages

),
[Monthly AVG])

replace sumx(AverageTotal,[Monthly AVG]) with the above code snippet

Jan 

if this is a solution for you, don't forget to mark it as such. thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @JustJan , but unfortunately this won't work as I cannot have fields from different tables in the Summarize function.

@Anonymous...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous, please download the Excel file and open the PowerPivot model. You'll then see how it's structured and the measure you want.

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't understand how variables in DAX work. Please try to do some reading on this. A hint is this: a variable is calculated only once at the point of its definition.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors