Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

How to dynamically create a unioned table based on filters?

Hello,

We are trying to calculate IRR.  To do so (I think) we need to create a dynamic table based on 2 tables in our data model: transactions and positions.  We need to UNION the most recent position market value with all of the transactions.
We have a SQL function which does this - the simplified logic of which is:

--Position
SELECT Cusip, Date, MarketValue, 'Ending MarketValue' AS TransType 
FROM Position POS
WHERE DataSourceGroup = @DataSourceGroup AND CUSIP = @CUSIP
AND AsOfDate = MAX(AsOfDate)
UNION
--Transaction
SELECT Cusip,  TradeDate, TransAmount,TransType
FROM Transactions
WHERE DataSourceGroup = @DataSourceGroup AND TradeDate <= @AsOfDate AND CUSIP = @CUSIP

Is there any way to do this in DAX?  Then, we would take the result of this and calc IRR against it.  We cannot predefine this table because users may choose different dates and securities/cusips.

Appreciate any help

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First, the table you are creating is not dynamic.  It is a summarized table that would load and be static until the next refresh.  You could create a measure based on a summarized table.  For example,

<Measure Name> =

Var  YourSummaryTable = SELECTCOLUMNS(Transactions, "CUSIP", Transactions[CUSIP (Filter)], "Date", Transactions[TradeDate], "Amount", Transactions[Amount])

RETURN SUMX(YourSummaryTable , [Amount])

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks @BrianConnelly !  Your solution pushed me in the right direction.  Almost there - just need to work out a few more things.  Appreciate your help!
Dan

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dancarr22 , In power query you can use append (delete the duplicate post that if needed)

Append : https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

in DAX you can use union

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/from-sql-to-dax-joining-tables/

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

One additional follow-up.  I did test creating this and noticed when I create a dynamic table (SELECTCOLUMNS) based on another table - the dynamic table does not filter when the main table it is based on is filtered.  How can that be done?  I am referencing Transactions table.  So, I thought my dynamically created table would update when the underlying source for that is filtered - but that is obviously not the case.  How can newTableTEST be updated whenever table Transactions is filtered?  Thanks!

newTableTEST = SELECTCOLUMNS(Transactions, "CUSIP", Transactions[CUSIP (Filter)], "Date", Transactions[TradeDate], "Amount", Transactions[Amount])

First, the table you are creating is not dynamic.  It is a summarized table that would load and be static until the next refresh.  You could create a measure based on a summarized table.  For example,

<Measure Name> =

Var  YourSummaryTable = SELECTCOLUMNS(Transactions, "CUSIP", Transactions[CUSIP (Filter)], "Date", Transactions[TradeDate], "Amount", Transactions[Amount])

RETURN SUMX(YourSummaryTable , [Amount])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors