Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

msmith61
Frequent Visitor

How to create flag based on slicer input

Hi,

I have a table similar to the below:

practicelocality
prac1North
prac2North
prac3East
prac4East
prac5East
prac6West
prac7West
prac8West

I am using the "practice" field in a slicer for my all my visuals except for a a single chart that this slicer does not change (Edit interactions set to "none"). However on this chart I need to filter locality based on the slicer input (To enable users to compare the selected practice with other practices in that locality). 

My initial thinking is a DAX flag using selectedvalues and have a new measure that gives 1,0 based on locality. But I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @msmith61 ,

SELECTEDVALUE() function won't work either once you disable the interaction between two visuals.

My advice is to create an independent slicer table, active or inactive relationships between all tables and this slicer table according to your interactions needs.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

msmith61
Frequent Visitor

4 REPLIES 4
msmith61
Frequent Visitor

I finally found a solution to thsi problem from another asked question:
Solved: How to List All Products Listed Under a Category b... - Microsoft Power BI Community 

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @msmith61 ,

SELECTEDVALUE() function won't work either once you disable the interaction between two visuals.

My advice is to create an independent slicer table, active or inactive relationships between all tables and this slicer table according to your interactions needs.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
msmith61
Frequent Visitor

hi @amitchandak ,
Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure how these links help. I have reviewed and just can't seem to see where this relates to my issue, all of this examples are based on values being within bins. My issue is that I am selecting one single practice but I need my visual to show all practices that are in the same locality as that selected practice. 

I'm starting to wonder if this is just not possible!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@msmith61 , If you want to use the slicer on the measure, you need to use dynamic segmentation

Dynamic segmentation -Measure to Dimension conversion: https://youtu.be/gzY40NWJpWQ

https://www.daxpatterns.com/dynamic-segmentation/
https://radacad.com/grouping-and-binning-step-towards-better-data-visualization

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors