Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

changezshafiq

Help with Add columns across two tables

Hello,

I am having an issue with adding multiple columns across two table which are connected through "Date" field. First table hosts item sales data, while second table has "Dates" spanned across weeks. When I create a new measure to insert new columns in first sales sales data table, I get the following error: "

T_VALUE =
 ADDCOLUMNS(tbl_DATE
               , "POS UNITS SOLD" , SUMX(RELATEDTABLE(tbl_POS), [POS Units])
               , "POS DOLLARS SOLD" , SUMX(RELATEDTABLE(tbl_POS), [POS Dollars])
               )
"The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

hi @changezshafiq 

ADDCOLUMNS returns a table, so comes the error. 

What do you plan to do further with the virtual table?

Hi,

I need to use these calculations to determine Last Week sales, Last 4 Week sales, Last 13 Week sales by referencing the Week Ending Date and LW Date in the date table which looks like below:

changezshafiq_0-1676997450545.png

so I want to create additional measure such as

LW Unit Sales = CALCULATE([POS UNITS SOLD],tbl_Date[Week Ending]=tbl_Date[X LW])

L4W Unit Sales = CALCULATE([POS UNITS SOLD,tbl_Date[Week Ending]>tbl_Date[X L4W],tbl_Date[Week Ending]<=tbl_Date[X LW])

Hi @changezshafiq 
What @FreemanZ means is what are you using the ADDCOLUMNS table for? Why do you need to have both Units Sold and Dollars Sold in one virtual table?

I do not intend to create a virtual table, I just needed to insert new columns in sales table with different time measure shown below. I would then use these metrics and map them to Category, Geography, etc for my dashboard.

changezshafiq_0-1676999033981.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors