Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BabyBinki821
Helper I
Helper I

Help - How to group customers by # of orders at certain amounts and over time

Hi

So I a stuck on this. I am trying to basically create a bar chart showing customers who have made 2 or more orders, 10 or more, 20 or more, 50 or more and 100 or more and have it update weekly. I have all the necessary data tables already set up (including date table).

My first approach was creating a table with unique customer ID and the total orders, which was successful - Image below.

I then used this calculation  to get # of customers who made at least 2 orders -

Measure = Calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT('Customer Orders'[EC2 ID #]),'Customer Orders'[Total Orders]>1)

The number I am getting is way off, not too mention its static (not changing over in time).

What am I doing wrong?

BabyBinki821_0-1649904535452.png

7 REPLIES 7
BabyBinki821
Helper I
Helper I

Also, sorry not to spam but do I even need a table? Could I create a DAX measure to basically say find me the number of times a unique ID order 2 or more and then put in bar chart?

BabyBinki821
Helper I
Helper I

Also here is an image of my main data table down below. I am basically trying to create this bar chart with each stack representing an order threshold.

BabyBinki821_1-1649941970002.png

BabyBinki821_0-1649941873681.png

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your data model looks like, but if you want to create dynamic grouping type of visaul, one of ways to solve it is having a grouping table like below.

I tried to create a sample pbix file like below.

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Picture1.png

Orders total: = 
SUM( Data[Orders] )

Customers count: =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( Customer ),
    FILTER (
        Customer,
        COUNTROWS (
            FILTER (
                GroupTable,
                GroupTable[Min] <= [Orders total:]
                    && GroupTable[Max] >= [Orders total:]
            )
        ) > 0
    )
)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

How did you create the cutoff for the group numbers?

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @BabyBinki821 
Dynamic segmentation can work only for small-medium size data. The question is: if you summarize your orders table by customer and date, how many rows you get? Regarding your measure, it should give the correct number of customers that made more than 2 orders. There is no doubt about that. But how are you displaying this number? Is it just a card visual?

I have over 40,000 rows

And in terms of the measure, if I filter the column I get 646 customers that made 2 o more orders but the measure itself in the bar chart only returns ~240

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors