Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GerardoRTobar
Helper I
Helper I

Grouping remainder categories after using TopN by Measure

Hello, community! I'm looking for a DAX solution to implement what this Thread  explains, but I also need to add a feature to that solution: aggregating the remaining values in a category called "Others".

For example, let's say that I have 100 distinct persons for "Seller" category and I want to get the top 3 by [YTD Sales] and then group the remaining other 97 sellers in a category value named "Others". If we imagine Total Sales for $100,000, it would look like this:

Top1: $10,000

Top2: $9,000

Top3: $8,000

Others: $73,000

I've tried many ways but none has worked. And I also need to be able to apply it to a measure [Sales LY] which is already being calculated using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR.

I would really appreciate your help

Dynamic TopN made easy with What If Parameter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please check the below measure and the attached pbix file.

In my sample, I am not using dim-calendar table, so I did not use time intelligent DAX function. Instead, I tried to write like below.

I am not sure how your dim-calendar table looks like and how it is connected to your whole model, but please try something like,

CALCULATE([top3salespeople include others:], FILTER( ALL(Calendar), Calendar[Year] = MAX(Calendar[Year])-1))

Top3salespeople YoY%: =
VAR _currentyear =
    MAX ( 'Year'[Year] )
VAR _currentyeartop3sales = [Top3salespeople include others:]
VAR _previousyeartop3sales =
    CALCULATE ( [Top3salespeople include others:], 'Year'[Year] = _currentyear - 1 )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Year'[Year] ),
        DIVIDE (
            _currentyeartop3sales - _previousyeartop3sales,
            _previousyeartop3sales
        )
    )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your data model looks like, but I tried to create a sample pbix file like below.

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

It is for creating a measure.

One of ways to solve this is to include "Others" in the Person Table in order to use it in Columns section in table visualization.

Untitled.png

Top three and others sales: =
VAR _topthreesales =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Sales[Sales] ),
        KEEPFILTERS (
            TOPN ( 3, ALL ( Person ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( Sales[Sales] ) ), DESC )
        )
    )
VAR _otherssales =
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Sales[Sales] ), REMOVEFILTERS ( Person ) )
        - CALCULATE (
            SUM ( Sales[Sales] ),
            TOPN ( 3, ALL ( Person ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( Sales[Sales] ) ), DESC )
        )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEVALUE ( Person[Sales Person] ),
        IF (
            SELECTEDVALUE ( Person[Sales Person] ) = "Others",
            _otherssales,
            _topthreesales
        ),
        SUM ( Sales[Sales] )
    )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thanks for your help! but I'm still facing the problem that for any given current year, the top 3 is not always the same as the last year's top 3. So, for 2021 it shows me the 2021's top 3 and same for 2022. But I need the current year's top 3 and map those same 3 persons to calculate lat year's sales. Let me show you what I mean in the next image.

Example.jpeg

Hoping you can still enlight me, I thank you again for the help you have given me so far!

Hi,

Since I cannot know how your data model looks like, I created another sample pbix file like below.

Please check the attached pbix file. All measures are in the attached file.

I hope this can provide a help to create an accurate solution for your data model.

Untitled.png

Go to My LinkedIn Page

That's magnificent! Helps a lot to have this and even I could be calculating it manually, I would like to know if its possible to make this measure available to be used with SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR.

I tried to get the "top3salespeople include others:" measure inside a CALCULATE([top3salespeople include others:],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Calendar[Date])) but it only return's a value for the "OTHERS" Category.

This is because we want to calculate YoY %Var. As I said, of course it can be done manually by just adjusting a filter, but It would help a lot too if there's a way to leave it automatically calculated for every time year changes (say, on the 1st of January of 2023)

If this is too much to ask, trust me, you have helped me a lot so far and I cannot be more grateful to you than I already am!

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please check the below measure and the attached pbix file.

In my sample, I am not using dim-calendar table, so I did not use time intelligent DAX function. Instead, I tried to write like below.

I am not sure how your dim-calendar table looks like and how it is connected to your whole model, but please try something like,

CALCULATE([top3salespeople include others:], FILTER( ALL(Calendar), Calendar[Year] = MAX(Calendar[Year])-1))

Top3salespeople YoY%: =
VAR _currentyear =
    MAX ( 'Year'[Year] )
VAR _currentyeartop3sales = [Top3salespeople include others:]
VAR _previousyeartop3sales =
    CALCULATE ( [Top3salespeople include others:], 'Year'[Year] = _currentyear - 1 )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Year'[Year] ),
        DIVIDE (
            _currentyeartop3sales - _previousyeartop3sales,
            _previousyeartop3sales
        )
    )

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors