Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

TomGee

Frustrated with Tableau to PowerBI

I'm trying to convert a tableau solution to Power BI and am ready to slam my computer against a wall. It seems that everything is harder than it needs to be.

I simply want to produce an "A" or "B" result based on a whole set of and/or conditions. Simple in Tableau or SQL but I can't make it work in Power BI /  DAX. Open to any suggestions: 

Here's what it looks like in Tableau - how do I do this in power BI??

IF ( [Employed] = 'F'
and (
([Current Status]) ='A'
OR ([Current Status]) ='B'
OR ([Current Status]) ='C'
OR ([Current Status]) ='D'
OR ([Current Status]) ='E'
))

OR

( [Employed] = 'T'
and (
([Current Status]) ='G'
OR ([Current Status]) ='H'
OR ([Current Status]) ='I'
OR ([Current Status]) ='J'
))

OR (([Current Status] ='E' and [Naics]<>'92'))

then 'BAD' else 'GOOD' END

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is this - a measure or a calculated column? If it's a calculated column... why don't you do this in Power Query where it would be extremely simple?

In DAX things are also simple when you know how to use it. Like with any tool.

Best
Darek

Thanks - obviously I'm new to Power BI. I'm trying to create a calculated column. Would you recommend doing that with power query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course I would.

Calculated columns should almost exclusively be created in the source data, not in DAX. DAX is a Data Analysis Expressions language, not a data mash-up language. M is. And in M you can use tools that are very, very similar to SQL - mainly joins and columns with custom formulas.

What does Microsoft DAX stand for?
Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) is the native formula and query language for Microsoft PowerPivot, Power BI Desktop and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) Tabular models.
-- Microsoft

Best
Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.