Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lh2023

Dates (months) out of chronological order on x-axis of chart

Hello,

I have a question regarding the order of dates along the x-axis of a chart created in power BI. I am showing the change in a feature for the last 6 months  (Sept 2022 - March 2023).. I would prefer to see the most current date as the rightmost value on the x-axis (in the case of a trend in the time series, rearranging these dates has a great influence on the appearance of the line chart); however,  Power BI seems to default list the month names in cxhronological order, disregarding the year. If I list the 'year' first, then only the year shows, without division by month. Does anyone know how to place the months in chronological order by year?

For reference: 

lh2023_0-1678891366574.png

the above image shows the x-axis when 'month name' and 'calendar year' are separately defining the x-axis as shown below:

lh2023_1-1678891478626.png

When combining the year and month hierarchically, the x-axis looks as follows (disregards the separate months):

lh2023_2-1678891586710.png

lh2023_3-1678891608162.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 🙂 

1 REPLY 1
jony_gloeckner
Frequent Visitor

Hi @lh2023 ,

you need to create another column with numerical values for your Month name column and sort Month name column by another column.

You can read more about procedure here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-sort-by-column?tabs=powerbi-deskto...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors