Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DaniMak1608
Advocate II
Advocate II

DAX formula to calculate the result between booking values and their share

The situation:

I have a fctFinance table and a dimLedgerExternal table via SQL.

The fctFinance table consists among other columns of

• booking values
  • for each applicable ledger
  • per month
  • booking year, 

The dimLedgerExternal table is a DAX written table via the =DATATABLE function to provide a translation between their ledgers and our ledgers and consists of

• Ledger Ext ; the ledger our investment company uses
  • Label Ext; their name
  • Ledger Ours ;  our ledger that belongs their to ledger
  • Share factor ; the percentage that our ledgers belongs to their ledger (it's mostly 1, but sometimes 0.3 for instances we have the salaries in one ledger, but they want have a purchase, sales and administration department ledger so we have to split the salaries values between them)

I made this DAX formula but the results weren't right. The resulting value of external ledgers, where <1 share factors are applicable, were too high. Additionaly the Total value in the visual didn't match the sum of its parts, but the total value was correct.

Result1 =

CALCULATE(SUM('fctFinance'[Booking value]),'fctFinance'[Ledger])*CALCULATE(AVERAGE('dimLedgerExternal'[Share Factor]))*-1

Via these formums I came across 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Grand-Total-of-Measures-doesn-t-match-with-SUM-of-row-value...

And I made this

Result2 =
(SUMX('fctFinance',CALCULATE(SUM('fctFinance'[Booking value])*CALCULATE(AVERAGE('dimLedgerExternal'[Share Factor]))*-1)))
With this formula the individual ledgers have the correct amount, however now the Total value is wrong. 

I think the problem lies in the fact that, because neither ledgers are unique, I have to use an aggregate argument in the second part of the formula. It feels like I need something else for a solution, but I can't find what it is.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @DaniMak1608 

Please try the following formula to recalculate the total value.

Result =
SUMX ( VALUES ( 'fctFinance' ), [Result2] )

or the following formula to replace the total value of [Result2] with the total value of [result1]

Result =
IF ( ISINSCOPE ( 'fctFinance'[ individual ledgers] ), [Result2], [Result1] )

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @DaniMak1608 

please try

Result2 =
SUMX (
    'fctFinance',
    - 'fctFinance'[Booking value] * RELATED ( 'dimLedgerExternal'[Share Factor] )
)

Hi, PBI won't accept it because even though there is a relation between the two tables, it won't allow that table as input. When I manually type it, it says: "There is no relation with the existing table in the current context"

Edit: After some reading this is because the RELATED function only allows one to one or one too many relations. And both the LedgerExternal as well as the fctFinance table have a many to many with eachother (because of the share factor)

@DaniMak1608 
Then this should work

Result2 =
SUMX (
    'fctFinance',
    - 'fctFinance'[Booking value]
        * AVERAGEX (
            RELATEDTABLE ( 'dimLedgerExternal' ),
            'dimLedgerExternal'[Share Factor]
        )
)

Thanks for your quick response. 

It works, however it gives the exact same result as my own Result 2 😆

For some reason the total value is wrong

Result2 =
(SUMX('fctFinance',CALCULATE(SUM('fctFinance'[Booking value])*CALCULATE(AVERAGE('dimLedgerExternal'[Share Factor]))*-1)))

Hi, @DaniMak1608 

Please try the following formula to recalculate the total value.

Result =
SUMX ( VALUES ( 'fctFinance' ), [Result2] )

or the following formula to replace the total value of [Result2] with the total value of [result1]

Result =
IF ( ISINSCOPE ( 'fctFinance'[ individual ledgers] ), [Result2], [Result1] )

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

@DaniMak1608 

Can you share a screenshot of your table visual?
I have a feeling that this is what you want

Result2 =
SUMX (
    CROSSJOIN ( 'fctFinance', 'dimLedger' ),
    - 'fctFinance'[Booking value] * 'dimLedgerExternal'[Share Factor]
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.