Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX MTD & Prior Year

Hi All,

I am trying to calcuate the count for the current year & month; 2020 Jan to April (current month) and also show the same period Jan to April but for last year 2019. I have created a date table and marked it as a date table.

Date =
ADDCOLUMNS (
CALENDAR (DATE(2000,1,1), DATE(2025,12,31)),
"DateAsInteger", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYYMMDD" ),
"Year", YEAR ( [Date] ),
"Monthnumber", FORMAT ( [Date], "MM" ),
"YearMonthnumber", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY/MM" ),
"YearMonthShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY/mmm" ),
"MonthNameShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "mmm" ),
"MonthNameLong", FORMAT ( [Date], "mmmm" ),
"DayOfWeekNumber", WEEKDAY ( [Date] ),
"DayOfWeek", FORMAT ( [Date], "dddd" ),
"DayOfWeekShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "ddd" ),
"Quarter", "Q" & FORMAT ( [Date], "Q" ),
"YearQuarter", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY" ) & "/Q" & FORMAT ( [Date], "Q" )
)

which has a 1 to many relationship to my data table 'New Business' [Variation Issue Date]

Current Year DAX : 

Count YTD = CALCULATE(COUNT('New Business'[Count]), DATESYTD('New Business'[Variation Issue Date]))
returns the correct count of 8206.

Prior Year DAX:
target = 9952
Count PYTD = CALCULATE([Count YTD], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date])) returns same count as current year
Count PYTD = CALCULATE([Count YTD], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('New Business'[Variation Issue Date])) returns error Function 'SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' expects a contiguous selection when the date column is not unique, has gaps or it contains time portion
Count PYTD = CALCULATE(TOTALMTD(COUNT('New Business'[Count]),'Date'[Date]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date])) returns blank 
Count PYTD = CALCULATE(TOTALMTD(COUNT('New Business'[Count]),'New Business'[Variation Issue Date]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date])) returns 2813
Count PYTD = CALCULATE([Count YTD], DATEADD('Date'[Date],-1, year)) returns 8206
Count PYTD = CALCULATE(count('New Business'[Count]), DATEADD('Date'[Date],-1, year)) returns 386804

I have tried a few different ways to do it and none of them work, so any help would be appreicated.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
neha369
Helper I
Helper I

Did you try 

CALCULATE([Count YTD], DATEADD('New Business'[Variation Issue Date],-1, year))

Anonymous
Not applicable

The variation issue date seems to have data issues, DATEADD expects a contiguous selection when the date column is not unique, has gaps or it contains time portion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, time-intel functions require that a set of dates contain all dates between the max and min date of the set.

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does the time intel function base the expected min & max on, My date table has generic start and end times I haven't used a column as there are more than one table connected to it. The data is a dimension table so the dates aren't consective. Can I use a FORMAT function within the DAX to get around this problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you post sample data as text so that this can be recreated? Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I tried inserting a table but it doesn't allow for enough rows so here's some data. All 2020 and the first three months of 2019.  Just a count of a column and the data field pretty simple.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bIyarSPC-hoU2Wa1OTOrP1xJKWZjyukE 

hope it works

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I found the problem the PYTD is returning 35976 in the top table when it should be 7686 as per bottom table. So it is summing the entire year instead of the same period in the YTD measure. This is becuase the fact table date variation issue date produces the error, Function 'SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' expects a contiguous selection when the date column is not unique, has gaps or it contains time portion.

Count YTD = TOTALYTD('_Measures NB'[Count NB], 'New Business'[Variation Issue Date])
Count PYTD = IF(ISBLANK([Count YTD]),BLANK(), CALCULATE([Count NB],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date])))

count pytd.JPG

So becuase i have to use the the date table date I need a way to calculate for last year but current month eg. year -1, current months.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have wrriten the following DAX but it returns nothing.

Count PYTD =
VAR startdate = DATE(YEAR(NOW())-1,MONTH(1), DAY(1))
VAR enddate = DATE(YEAR(NOW())-1,MONTH(NOW()), DAY(NOW()))
Return
         CALCULATE(
                             [Count NB],
                                    FILTER('Date','Date'[Date] >=startdate && 'Date'[Date] <= enddate)
                            )

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors