Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

datpbi_newbie
Frequent Visitor

DAX Expression to create dynamic Index column to show all categorical values without scrollbar

Hi Community, Good Evening. I have a requirement to show all the values for a categorical column without a scrollbar.

I created my chart with dimensions that had 370+ distinct values and DAX measure and got the below chart. But my business users want to see all the values without scroll bar.

datpbi_newbie_0-1658365939622.png

To meet my requirements, I need a dynamic DAX column that holds an index value that can be used in the X-Axis as continuous. But how to write DAX to get such a dynamic index column to change with your selections. 

Dimension: Station Name

Measure: Actual Travel Time / Total Time

I have separate facts in the model and too many dimensions as filters in the page.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @datpbi_newbie 

Maybe you can refer to field parameter . Field parameters allow users to dynamically change the measures or dimensions being analyzed within a report.

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @datpbi_newbie 

Maybe you can refer to field parameter . Field parameters allow users to dynamically change the measures or dimensions being analyzed within a report.

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

datpbi_newbie
Frequent Visitor

Hi Community, my requirement is to remove the Scroll Bar for the Categorical Column (Station Name) and show all the values.

I have some experience with other tools and its had much more options to control the scroll bar and there is no option available for Power BI to customize the scroll bar for the categorical columns.

So I trying to create a dynamic column ( I can't use the Measure in the x-axis or sort by column) to create a number column to accomplish this.

Any thoughts?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@datpbi_newbie , You can get a continuous axis for the Number and date field only

Axis_type.png

Yes we can create continuous on the number and date field only.

So I am looking to create a dynamic Index number column for my string Station_Name column and I use Tool Tip to show the Station Name.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors