Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count rows containing one of many strings (not exactly)

Context:

Table1 = 'Companies' (list of companies)

Table2 = 'Specialties' (list of areas of expertise of those companies)

Relationship = 1:M (one company has multiple specialties)

Company_id  Company_name  
1Microsoft
2Google
3Amazon

Specialty_id  Specialty_name  Company_id  
1Cloud1
2Data1
3Database2
4System Architecture  2
5Security2

I want to create a column in the table 'Companies' that counts the amount of specialties of that company containing one of many strings. In other words, the column 'Specialty_name' has to be filtered so that only the rows remain that contains one of the strings (not exact). 

List of strings = {"Data", "Cloud", ...}

So the output should be:

Company_id  Company_name  Count_Specialties  
1Microsoft2
2Google1
3Amazon0

As you see, the new column should also count "Database" even though that exact string is not in the list (only "Data").

So far, I managed to create a DAX but it's very long and inefficient: 

Count_Specialties= CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('specialties', CONTAINSSTRING('specialties'[specialty_name], "Cloud") || CONTAINSSTRING('specialties'[specialty_name], "Data") + 0
The list contains 20+ strings, so the DAX keeps adding strings via || (and at the end I add '+ 0' to avoid null values). 

I wonder if there is another way that can produce the same column more efficiently. 

Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You need to put all the conditions into the formula. There doesn't seem to be a simpler way. 

Or you can put the conditions into a column. Then count the column.

Column = if(CONTAINSSTRING('specialties'[specialty_name  ], "Cloud") || CONTAINSSTRING('specialties'[specialty_name  ], "Data"),1,0)
Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Specialties[Column])+0,FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Company_id  ]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Company_id  ])))

vpollymsft_0-1648792115125.png

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide your pbix file without privacy infromation and desired output.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You need to put all the conditions into the formula. There doesn't seem to be a simpler way. 

Or you can put the conditions into a column. Then count the column.

Column = if(CONTAINSSTRING('specialties'[specialty_name  ], "Cloud") || CONTAINSSTRING('specialties'[specialty_name  ], "Data"),1,0)
Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Specialties[Column])+0,FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Company_id  ]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Company_id  ])))

vpollymsft_0-1648792115125.png

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide your pbix file without privacy infromation and desired output.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

You can do this via the data model by either a measure or a new table. Please see two tables (different ways of calculating the same result) and a measure doing the same thing. Please see link here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EcZBdUDVUC0cOb3CSM1QdnblfbvZQzxL/view?usp=sharing 

Whitewater100_0-1648573350606.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, thanks a lot for your response!

Unfortunately don't think I was clear enough in the description. I have a big list of relevant Specialties on which I want to filter, but the amount of Specialties linked to the companies is much higher. So it's not enough to just count the specialties. I know the example I gave was misleading because all of the specialties needed to be counted.

I will edit the post, let me know if it still isn't clear!

Hopefully you can still help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors