Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Compare Changes in Request date with different versions of the data in a matrix visual

Hello All,

I have been struggling to use a matrix visual to show how demand request dates have moved from one version of the data to a another version of the data.  This is an ideal format, but I am open to other ideas.  Generally, the idea, see below, is that we can see how the Request Date for the products from Old Data Version has changed to the New Data Version.  For example we can see the "red" products all have all moved from a 4/1/23 request date to a 5/1/23 request date.  But the "yellow" products have moved in different ways.  "Yellow0" has moved from 6/2/23 to 8/1/23, while "Yellow1" has moved from 6/2/23 to 9/1/23.  

KleinkeM_0-1680706982408.png

In my research I seem to come across the need to have 2 data tables which are identical, linked by a unique key, where table 1 (older version) is dropped into the rows and table 2 (new version) is dropped into the columns, using table 2 quantity in the values.  then need to use Slicers on each table to control which version each (row and columns) are refrencing.....but this doesn't seem to work.  
I have attached a link to a Power BI file with this test data and approach.   My real data set generates a new data version every day and there are >2 million rows of data.  The requirement is to show how any two dates, selected by the user, change in this matrix style.

Compare Versions Matrix PBIX 

Any direction or help will be greately appreciated.  

Thanks,
Matt

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @lbendlin 

Thank you for the response.  I have tried to unjoin the tables but then I get "can't display the visual".

What I am trying to accomplish is to see how the "Request Date" has changed between 2 different versions.  

So in the below example, the request date for the previous version (1/2/2023) for product "Yellow 0" was on 6/2/2023.  Then in the new version (4/1/2023) the product "Yellow 0" request date has pushed out to 8/1/2023. 

Using the matrix veiw it is easy to see exacly how things move around between 2 versions. 

KleinkeM_0-1680987738972.png

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Matt

Will there always be exactly two entries for each product, for different dates?

What about quantity changes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @lbendlin ,

Some great questions!

So, yes, only 2 versions to be compared at any time.  Hopefully controlled by the independent slicers.

I am not as concerned about the quantity changes, not even sure how that would work.  Most of the data I use only has 1 in the quantity anyhow.  More likely than not I will be looking at value and not quantity in the end.  Nevertheless, I plan to use the "New Version" quantity as I am just trying to see how the request date has changed between the two versions.

Thanks!

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin ,

Did that answer your question?  Do you think there is a path forward to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks,

Matt

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you should not join these two tables.  

It is unclear to me what you are trying to compare to what. Can you give an example based on your sample data?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors