Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Robbief
Helper II
Helper II

Can you accomplish this in PowerBI:

I'm not certain this is even possible, or within the realms of PowerBI; but I know this is the right place to ask!

I have a stock movements table that looks like this:

image.png

It has various types of stock movements from Stocktakes, through to Deliveries and Sales, Etc.....   Every Stock Movement creates a stock line, and the running total is written to the line at that time.

Our users would like to select a specific Date / Time, and have the system return the total value of stock on hand based on their input.  I have deduced that the following logic would give the correct result:

1. A User to define Date on which they would like the Total Stock on Hand results returned
  2. Set the User Defined Date as the "End Date"
  3. Using a given input date, return the closest Stocktake date prior to the date
  4. Set the closest stocktake date prior to that date as the "Start Date"
  5. Return a sumarised Table showing the most recent Movement Records for each distinct Item Between the User Defined Date (End Date), and the Stocktake Date  (Start Date)
  6. Result to deliver a table including Item, Running Totals & Value.

Based on the above, and a user input parameter of: 09/03/2021 22:00; I would expect the resultant table to look like this::

2021-03-11_00h08_36.png

I'm fairly new to PowerBI, so have a few questions:

1. Can PowerBI accomplish this?  (Returning / Filtering a Table from a user input Paramter)
  2. How would you do this in the PowerBI UX?
  3. Is this a DAX or a M Query type question?
  4. Any hints as to how I might accomplish this would be greatly welcomed!!!

Regards

Robbie

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Robbief , Create measure like below example , for running total, value , movement type. If needed, then for date too.

Use an independent data table , if possible for filter

running total =
var __MAX = maxx(allselected(Date), Date[Date])
VAR __id = MAX ('Table'[ITEM] )
VAR __date = CALCULATE ( MAX('Table'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ('Table' ), 'Table'[ITEM] = __id,'Table'[Date] <= __MAX )
CALCULATE ( Sum ('Table'[running total] ), VALUES ('Table'[ITEM] ),'Table'[ITEM] = __id,'Table'[Date] = __date,'Table'[Date] <= __MAX )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors