Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stoned_Edge10
Frequent Visitor

Calculating renewed venue totals, based on -365 days assumption w/o renewal date column

Hi all, 

I'm trying to calculate the number of renewals based on my current customer dataset, which is a little bit messy. I would appreciate some help if OK!

What I want to calculate is the total number of "venues" that have renewed, without a renewal date given. I have already created a "new venue" and "churn venue" KPI that is confirmed working, so the only calculation to do this would be, if I am correct:

[Total Venues] - [New Acquisition Venues] - [Churn Venues] = [Returning Venues]

The problem is that my dataset doesn't currently contain an expected renewal date, so I need to assume that all contracts will last for 365 days. Obviously what I need to know is what % of the returning venues renewed, based on the assumption that all contracts last 12 months. 

My dataset looks like this - each client is repeated several times across the rows, with a date the contract is due to end, a running date total (within a corresponding venue number). If a client has ended their contract (i.e not renewed) the FACT_Actuals['Date'] column will not have any date greater than when they ended their contract and that client ID will not show any more data. 

FACT_Actuals Table

Client IDServiceEndDateDateVenue Number
12022/05/032021/04/015
12022/05/032022/05/018
12022/05/032022/06/019
22022/08/042021/04/015
22022/08/042022/05/018
22022/08/042022/06/019
32023/09/042021/04/015
32023/09/042022/05/018
32023/09/042022/06/019
42022/04/022021/04/015
42022/04/022022/05/018
42022/04/022022/06/019
52022/11/152021/04/015
52022/11/152022/05/018
52022/11/152022/06/019
nnnn

Here's what I have in DAX so far, me basically trying to make my way through the above example, and failing horribly. I've tried to add some comments to help my workings but I'm still getting stuck, and have been for a few hours... 

And here are my supporting measures:

Venues =
SUMX (
VALUES(FACT_Actuals[ClientID]),
VAR _current_client = FACT_Actuals[ClientID]
VAR _max_date = [Last Date Per Client]
VAR _venue =
MAXX(
FILTER(
FACT_Actuals,
FACT_Actuals[ClientID] = _current_client && FACT_Actuals[Date] = _max_date
),
FACT_Actuals[VenueNumber]
)
RETURN
_venue
)

DateNewCustomer =
CALCULATE (
MIN ( FACT_Actuals[Date] ),
ALLEXCEPT (
FACT_Actuals,
FACT_Actuals[ClientID],
DIM_Customer
)
)

Renewed Venues =
//First, identify the minimum date in the current context. Assume all clients started their contracts 365 days ago (majority of customers are 12 month contracts). 
VAR MinDate = MIN ( DIM_Date[Date] ) - 365

//Second, create a table that for each customer, contains their first purchase date, regardless of any current filters on dates or customer, as well as their total number of venues as per latest date
VAR CustomersWithNewDate =
CALCULATETABLE (
ADDCOLUMNS (
VALUES ( FACT_Actuals[ClientID] ),
"@NewCustomerDate", [DateNewCustomer],
"@TotalVenues", [Venues]
),
ALLSELECTED ( FACT_Actuals[Date] )
)

//Third, filter the above table such that each customers first purchase took place 365 days ago before the current period
VAR ExistingCustomers =
FILTER (
CustomersWithNewDate,
[@NewCustomerDate] < MinDate
)

//Fourth, obtain the returning customers, as an intersection between the active customers in the selection, and the existing customers above
VAR ReturningCustomers =
INTERSECT (
SELECTCOLUMNS (
ExistingCustomers,
"CustomerKey", FACT_Actuals[ClientID],
"TotalVenues", [@TotalVenues]
)
)

RETURN
"I got stuck here"
I do realize this is advanced DAX and I am a beginner however would appreciate any help that anyone may be able to give. 

PS is there a way to format my DAX code on the forums? Apologies that it looks a bit messy... 

Kind regards,
Ben
9 REPLIES 9
Stoned_Edge10
Frequent Visitor

Just some added context. All contracts are 12 months in length. The minimum date per client is the “assumed start of contract date”.

I want to grab all of the clients who have their minimum start date 365 days before the current filter context (i.e if it shows Jan 2022 on a chart, grab all the clients where their minimum date or “start date” is Jan 2021). If their client ID still exists in Jan 2022, then I count them a renewed client. 

I only want to compare a moment in time (i.e 365 days ago from current filter context per client), and compare it to the current filter context to see if the ID still exists in both tables

Stoned_Edge10
Frequent Visitor

Hi all, solution still remains unsolved 😞

Renewed Venues =

VAR PotentialRenewingCustomers =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( FACT_Actuals[ClientID] ),
        ALL ( DIM_Date ),
        DIM_Date[Date] - 365
            MIN ( FACT_Actuals[Date] )
    )
VAR CustomersTM =
    VALUES ( FACT_Actuals[ClientID] )
VAR RenewedCustomers =
    INTERSECT ( PotentialRenewingCustomersCustomersTM )
RETURN
    SUMX ( RenewedCustomers, [Venues] )

I think this is what I'm trying to do. Basically, my definitions for a potential renewing customer is the below (i.e if a customers minimum date is 365 days before the current filter context, consider him/her a potential renewing customer. If his/her ID is also in the current filter context, consider him/her renewed for that month only).

PotentialRenewingCustomer = MIN ( ClientDate ) = CurrentFilterContextDate - 365 days

CustomersTM = Customers in current filter context 

Then I want to calculate:

1) Total clients renewed (i.e countrows)

2) Total revenue renewed (i.e sumx of venues)

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Stoned_Edge10 
I only edited the last part and the after RETURN part

Renewed Venues =
VAR MinDate =
    MIN ( DIM_Date[Date] ) - 365
    CALCULATETABLE (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            "@TotalVenues", [Venues]
        ),
    )
VAR ExistingCustomers =
    FILTER ( CustomersWithNewDate, [@NewCustomerDate] < MinDate )
VAR ReturningCustomers =
    EXCEPT ( CustomersWithNewDate, ExistingCustomers )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( ReturningCustomers )

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. 

Instead of counting up the rows of the newly formed table, I'd like to sum up the venues corresponding to each particular client (i.e the "@TotalVenues" column in the virtual table). How would I go about doing that?

Hi @Stoned_Edge10 

then try

Renewed Venues =
VAR MinDate =
    MIN ( DIM_Date[Date] ) - 365
    CALCULATETABLE (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            "@TotalVenues", [Venues]
        ),
    )
VAR ExistingCustomers =
    FILTER ( CustomersWithNewDate, [@NewCustomerDate] < MinDate )
VAR ReturningCustomers =
    EXCEPT ( CustomersWithNewDate, ExistingCustomers )
RETURN
    SUMX ( ReturningCustomers, [@TotalVenues] )

Are you sure I need to use EXCEPT() function here?

I am trying to return only the clients that show a value in the Venue Number column 12 months ago, and then sum up the venue numbers once per client. Should INTERSECT() not be used here?

The existing calculation gives me a result that is far too high. I'm trying to look at each month per column, identify if a client existed 365 days ago from that date (i.e 1st of the month). If yes, sum up the venues in the current period, if not, then do not sum up the venues. 

@Stoned_Edge10 
I don't sure if I understand what you mean. However the Intersection between 'CustomersWithNewDate' and 'ExistingCustomers' will result in the complete 'ExistingCustomers' table. Please explain further what do you want to achieve maybe using screenshots and some examples.

OK, sorry for not being clear. Let me try and explain again. 

Stoned_Edge10_0-1653290521858.png

The end result needs to show these three KPIs - churned venues, new venues and renewed venues (I already have the first two verified as being accurate, however struggling with the "renewals" KPI). 

What I want to do is:

1) Create a table that has individual client IDs shown 12 months (365 days) prior to the current filter context, with three columns. It should only have unique client IDs (not multiple, only 1) with their date 12 months prior with corresponding venue number. I only want to show the clients that have reached the end of their tenure (so if the max date falls within the current filter context (I.e same month), then make the comparison, otherwise do not make comparison and remove those clients from this table). 

2) Create a table based on the current filter context (i.e current month) with a list of unique client IDs, with their date and corresponding venue number 

3) Compare the two tables, keeping the clients that existed in the first table but also exist in the second table (i.e renewals)

4) Sum up the venue numbers corersponding to the current filter context (i.e the current latest date for that client)

5) Show on a bar graph as "venue renewals" (i.e the orange bar shown above)

I really appreciate your help and I hope the above is clear, let me know if it isn't and I will try to clarify further. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Stoned_Edge10 , if you want compare 12 vs 12 rolling

Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(count(Fact[ClientID]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],MAX('Date'[Date ]),-12,MONTH))

Rolling 12 Before 12 = CALCULATE(count(Fact[ClientID]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],Eomonth(MAX('Date'[Date ]),-12) ,-12,MONTH))

Then New =

Countx(Values(Fact[ClientID]), if(not(isblank([Rolling 12])) && isblank([Rolling 12 Before 12]) ,[ClientID], blank()))

refer

Customer Retention Part 2: Period over Period Retention :https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-2-Period-over-Period-Retenti...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors