Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Kauto2007

Calculate Average by Month and Category

A relative newbie to DAX so take it easy on me if it's a simple solution. So i have several years of data of different info and i want to calculate an average of the monthly total by a certain category as each category may have several entries per month. An example of the data and what i would expect the result to be is as follows:

Kauto2007_0-1716118791237.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kauto2007 ,

First of all, many thanks to  for your very quick and effective replies.

Based on my testing, please try the following methods:

1.Create the simple table.

vjiewumsft_0-1716355762665.png

2.Create the new column to filter the month.

Month = MONTH('Table'[Date])

vjiewumsft_1-1716355779893.png

3.Create the new measure to calculate average for category.

Average = 
VAR categ = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Category])
VAR total_val = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'), 'Table'[Category] = categ))
VAR month_num = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Month]), 'Table'[Category] = categ)
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    DIVIDE(total_val, month_num)
)

4.Select Drag the category field into the slicer.

vjiewumsft_2-1716355817146.png

5.Select the Category A. The result is shown below.

vjiewumsft_3-1716355853365.png

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Kauto2007

I know i can just add an average in from the Analystics part of the time series analysis but i need the average to calculate the STD of the averages to create my upper and lower control limits..

Kauto2007

@xifeng_L  Thanks for that. I tried that measure and although it doesnt come up with any errors so it is accepted, when i add it into a visual it is blank

Monthly Average =
                IF(HASONEFILTER(FACT_Finance_Data[Staffing Category]),AVERAGEX(ALL(FACT_Finance_Data[Month_Year]),CALCULATE(SUM(FACT_Finance_Data[Agency Actual]))))

This is the measure i used.

Basically im trying to create an average for an SPC chart, which is dynamic depending on the team that is selected in the slicer, if that info helps.
xifeng_L
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Kauto2007 ,

You can try below measure.

xifeng_L_0-1716121311627.png

average of the monthly total = IF(HASONEFILTER('Table'[Category]),AVERAGEX(ALL('Table'[Month]),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]))))

Demo - Calculate Average by Month and Category.pbix

Did I answer your question? If yes, pls mark my post as a solution and appreciate your Kudos !

Thank you~

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors