Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thalitakadlec
Frequent Visitor

Bar chart by quarter including last quarter from previous year

Hi there,

I currently have a report that shows me a selected year's metrics by quarter on a bar chart:

currentchart.jpg

filters.jpg

However, I would like this view to also show me a bar for the last quarter of the previous year for comparison, that would still show up even if I have a page level filter for Year.

For example: if I filter my page to the year of 2018, I still want to see the last quarter of 2017 on my bar chart, to the left of the 2018 quarters bars, ideally looking something like this:

expectedchart.jpg

Is this possible? How can I achieve this or something similar that serves the same purpose?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Follow below steps to achieve this:

1. Create a Year Table with one column having just the different years from your calendar.

Create a slicer from this column. My model contains 2 years, so i have a table called YearTable with 2 rows and 1 once column

2. Create below measures:

Selected Year = SELECTEDVALUE( YearTable[Year] )

Last Quarter Flag = 
VAR v_PreviousYear = [Selected Year] - 1
VAR v_MaxYear = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Year] ) )
VAR v_MaxPreviousUear = v_MaxYear - 1
VAR v_MaxQuarter = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Quarter] ) )
RETURN
IF ( ( v_MaxYear == [Selected Year] ), "1", IF( (v_MaxYear == v_PreviousYear) && (v_MaxQuarter == 4), "1", "0" ))

3. If you don't have a column for 'Quarter & Year', create it as:

Quarter & Year = "Qtr-" & 'Calendar'[Quarter] & " " & 'Calendar'[Year]

4. Drag Quarter & year column on X axis and your measure on the values part on a stacked column chart like in the image shown in previous message.

5. Add a visual level filter for this chart as below: (Last Quarter Flag = 1)

result.PNG

Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a link to pbix that i created:

After selecting 1998 as Year, it is showing all quarters of 1998 and Q4 of 1997.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AikPceQOhqFEhA99DNyDpoZX8MYG?e=MGSHZD

result.PNG

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous !

Thanks for your reply.

However I unfortunately cannot access your file due to company security barriers regarding online file storage sites.

Would it be possible for you to explain how you created the view and maybe upload some pictures here of how you set this up in PB?

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Follow below steps to achieve this:

1. Create a Year Table with one column having just the different years from your calendar.

Create a slicer from this column. My model contains 2 years, so i have a table called YearTable with 2 rows and 1 once column

2. Create below measures:

Selected Year = SELECTEDVALUE( YearTable[Year] )

Last Quarter Flag = 
VAR v_PreviousYear = [Selected Year] - 1
VAR v_MaxYear = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Year] ) )
VAR v_MaxPreviousUear = v_MaxYear - 1
VAR v_MaxQuarter = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Quarter] ) )
RETURN
IF ( ( v_MaxYear == [Selected Year] ), "1", IF( (v_MaxYear == v_PreviousYear) && (v_MaxQuarter == 4), "1", "0" ))

3. If you don't have a column for 'Quarter & Year', create it as:

Quarter & Year = "Qtr-" & 'Calendar'[Quarter] & " " & 'Calendar'[Year]

4. Drag Quarter & year column on X axis and your measure on the values part on a stacked column chart like in the image shown in previous message.

5. Add a visual level filter for this chart as below: (Last Quarter Flag = 1)

result.PNG

Thanks.

Hey @Anonymous 

Thanks so much for your help.

It seems I am almost there, can you please provide some insights on these 2 issues I am still having?

1) I was able to get up until step 4 from your instructions. However, when I tried to apply the filter for "Last Quarter Flag is 1", the following message popped up.  Any ideas how to fix this?

quarterbars.jpg

error.jpg

2) Will I be able to sort the bars in chronological order? How?

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you share the DAX written for the flag measure. Even better if you could share the pbix file.
Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors