Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

malpani
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI custom visuals using Charticulator - issues with slicer and legend

Hello Experts,

For my organization, I created a custom visual using Microsoft Charticulator app where I need to show Product Release and its milestones on timeline view.
I know it could be presented in other ways using default visuals but we require exactly same look and feel for our usage. So, I created this custom visual.

malpani_0-1672733913486.png

I completed most of it but I am stuck with couple of things mentioned below -

• Charticulator doesn't work well with page slicers. I have data for 2 years - 2022 and 2023. If I select All options from dropdown it shows correct data but if I select only one year 2022 then it doesn't show correct milestones milestones during that period.

malpani_1-1672733913497.png

• I have two kind of release milestones - MR (represented using circles) and FP (represented using triangle shape). I would like to create a legend in charticulator to show what these different shapes mean. I tried but it is not workin. malpani_2-1672733913285.png

• I would like to have a one more data axis at bottom or top to show year, so that user can see what was there in 2022 and what is forecasted for 2023. I tried creating additional data axis but it cannot be co-related with rest of the data - Year/Month view.

I was not aware of this custom visual community so earlier I posted same question on PBIUG, link mentioned below - 

Power Bi custom visual using Charticulator | Power BI Exchange (pbiusergroup.com) . 

I could not find the way to attach files here, you can find the attachments on the PBIUG thread mentioned above.

Please also let me know in case this is not the right community and pls redirect to correct community.

Request quick help to create this custom visuals.

Also, if it cannot be done using charticulator which other low code app could help to achieve this. 

Can we export code from charticulator and use this in Deneb and just modify the code there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
malpani
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, 

Now I manage to solve most of my issues. 

- Earlier I was creating charticulator visual inside PBI desktop which is then not working properly with slicers. So, then I created this first in Charticulator App and then imported template in PBI desktop. This somehow solved the problem of alignment of slicers. 

- Second I wanted an additional X axis. Now I managed to do that using additional Plot area. However, I could not manage to centre align Year X axis based on Year Month Axis which I am trying to figure out.

- Third legend showing different shape for MR and FP. This I could not solve, so I artificially created this in PBI desktop using shapes and text. As this is kind of fixed, so this works for me. 

Thanks.

malpani_0-1672777495553.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
malpani
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, 

Now I manage to solve most of my issues. 

- Earlier I was creating charticulator visual inside PBI desktop which is then not working properly with slicers. So, then I created this first in Charticulator App and then imported template in PBI desktop. This somehow solved the problem of alignment of slicers. 

- Second I wanted an additional X axis. Now I managed to do that using additional Plot area. However, I could not manage to centre align Year X axis based on Year Month Axis which I am trying to figure out.

- Third legend showing different shape for MR and FP. This I could not solve, so I artificially created this in PBI desktop using shapes and text. As this is kind of fixed, so this works for me. 

Thanks.

malpani_0-1672777495553.png

I was going to take a stab at this using Deneb. It's a cool visual. Glad you found a solution. 

Madison Giammaria
Proud to be a Super User 😄
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!

Hi @giammariam 

Thanks, yes it was very interesting to learn and develop my first custom visual. 

It would be still interesting to explore if Year can be centre aligned to Year/Month and if we can have shape based legend (circle and triangle) in charticulator.

Also, I would like to learn Deneb as Charticulator has limited support now from Microsoft; so if please share if you have any links to start my journey on Deneb.

@malpani, here are some of my go-to resources

There are a bunch more out there, but the resources above and the examples that they contain should keep you plenty busy. 

If you ever have any questions or want to bounce off ideas, feel free to message me. I'm always up for getting in some practice 

Madison Giammaria
Proud to be a Super User 😄
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors