Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PancakeoI

Power BI - Uncertified Visuals Security

Hello Masters!

I would like to know it is a possibility for custom visualization to have direct access to the model, data and other visualizations in the report, or only that visuals have access only to what we input into that visualization, referring to e.g field with data from the report model or measure? Is any possibility to check code of custom visulazation if i have pbix file which i can load to report?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AnalyticPulse
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

hi,

custom visuals typically interacts with the data and model in the report through the fields and measures that you explicitly bind to it. custom visuals do not have direct access to the entire model or other visualizations in the report. They can only access the data that is passed to them through the visual's configuration, such as the fields used for axes, values, legends, etc.

if you want to check the code , you can ony do so when custom visualization is open-source or proprietary. due to copyright issues creators might not make it open source.

mark this reply as answer if this resolved your doubt.

If this helped, Follow this blog for more insightful information about data analytics
Analytic Pulse 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AnalyticPulse
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

hi,

custom visuals typically interacts with the data and model in the report through the fields and measures that you explicitly bind to it. custom visuals do not have direct access to the entire model or other visualizations in the report. They can only access the data that is passed to them through the visual's configuration, such as the fields used for axes, values, legends, etc.

if you want to check the code , you can ony do so when custom visualization is open-source or proprietary. due to copyright issues creators might not make it open source.

mark this reply as answer if this resolved your doubt.

If this helped, Follow this blog for more insightful information about data analytics
Analytic Pulse 

Hi, Its possible to find that information about custom visuals access to data in any microsoft docs?

i dont think there would be in depth documentatio about specific custom visuals, as author try to monetise the use of it, its rare that it is available for public to see what the source code is

hmm I understand, could I know where you found such information: " They can only access the data that is passed to them through the visual's configuration, such as the fields used for axes, values, legends, etc." ?

microsoft documentation website for custom visuals 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/visuals/submission-testing 

are you able to point out where exactly this is written in this documentation?, because I'm looking and can't find it 😞

you wont find the word to word match, you have to read the whole doc and then understand what it means

ok i understand, big thx for help! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.